Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Newby - question about block size

Hi all, I am making a quilt that is comprised of 6.5 inch blocks to start with. They should measure 6 inches once put together...right? Mine is only measure 5.5 so I am assuming my scant quarter inch needs fixing...right? Thanks!

If you cut your fabric 6 1/2 "' ...sew 2 blocks together using 1/4"...the piece should measure ...6 1/2 x 12 1/2...either you are not cutting 6 1/2 ' or your seam is over 1/4 inch...

Right, they should be 6 inches after they are sewn together. Sounds like you might be using a scant half-inch seam. I put a piece of blue painters tape about 3 inches long at the quarter inch mark and just let the fabric almost touch it as I sew.

Thanks ladies!

Kim -

The scant .25 inch is troublesome for new quilters. It sounds as if you are correct that you need to work on that. The biggest thing, I think, is that you want ALL your blocks to finish the same size. So if you are making a wall hanging or table topper where size is not critical you can continue with your construction the same way you did with your first block.

If you are constructing a bed quilt or something that size is critical, then you may want to use some scrap fabric and make a few trial blocks and figure out where that scant .25 inch is on your machine. Just a note - many .25 inch feet generate a larger seam than that scant .25.

Ahhh...my blocks are 6 inches now!

wonderful.... :D

Blog Entries
    Hon, if your blocks are 6 1/2" and you sew two of them together, this piece should measure 6 1/2" X 12 1/2" a 4 patch should measure 12 1/2" X 12 1/2" If you are sewing the blocks in a row, all BUT the beginning and ending block should measure 6 inches across :D:D:D

Quote Originally Posted by charmpacksplus
    Right, they should be 6 inches after they are sewn together. Sounds like you might be using a scant half-inch seam. I put a piece of blue painters tape about 3 inches long at the quarter inch mark and just let the fabric almost touch it as I sew.
    great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by charmpacksplus
    I did almost the same thing. I colored permanent marker down the sticky side of a piece of scotch tape, taped it at my 1/4 inch mark,, rubbed it in place well, then peeled the tape off. I had a nice straight line at my 1/4 inch mark instead of tape that I seem to consistently peel the corners up on!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast