Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Newport News Va. area >

Newport News Va. area

Newport News Va. area

Old 06-05-2013, 03:49 AM

Location: Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....
Default Newport News Va. area

I will be in Newport News Va. around the 18th of June for 3 months while DH is working in the area. Anyone here on the board from the area? Know of any quilt shops in the surrounding areas?
Old 06-05-2013, 04:42 AM

I'm not real familiar with stores in Newport News. I live on the "other side" of the river in VA Beach. However, I do know there is a quilting store called Nancy's Calico Patch in Newport News. Her web address is http://www.ncpquilting.com/. I've heard lots of good things about this shop. Hope you enjoy your time here. It's hot in the summer but since you are from Louisiana (as is my husband) you are used to it.
While you are here try to get to visit Yorktown, Jamestown and Williamsburg - all wonderful tourist spots if you like American history. In Williamsburg there is a shop that displays some antique and old quilts - no fabrics though. If you are interested in more history Virginia is the proud home of four presidential estates in Charlottesville - Monticello (Jefferson), Montpelier (Madison) and Ash Lawn-Highland (Monroe) and in Mt. Vernon, VA Washington's home, Mount Vernon.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:51 AM

Yes, you have a few great options. My favorite is Bella's; its in Carrolton which is just on the other side of the James River bridge. The greates staff of any shop and great fabric and classes. They are also a Viking/Pfaff dealer too.

Then there is Nancy's Calico in NN. (Bernina Dealer)

Close to Busch Gardens there is a shop called Love 2 Quilt; very nice shop set in a cute little shopping center

Of course we have Hancocks and JoAnn's. In Norfolk there is Fabric Hut and in Chesapeake there are a couple of shops, one is A Different Touch (Bernina Dealer) and I think the other one is the Quilting Bee then at least one in Va Beach called Whats Your Stitch n stuff and in Portsmouth (Janome dealer). Both of the Walmarts in Norfolk have fabric; not sure about the other cities because I don't go that far for Walmarts. I hope this information helps. I know most of the shops have websites. Bella's is the only shop that I've ever heard of (even on here) that puts thier machine prices online for all to see.