Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
night and day >

night and day

night and day

Old 01-18-2011, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts
Night and Day is not one of her videos on her site.

I agree on the price....

So with everything El, just take one step at a time..... don't look ahead. Do it exactly the way she says and it will turn out right.
I agree - her books are fabulous - start with page one and go 1 step at a time. Start out with practice fabric
I'd rather spend $ on fabric than classes
Old 01-18-2011, 07:28 AM

http://vimeo.com/6286517

Here is a link to a video on Night and Day. This site has several videos not on the Quilt in a Day site.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:43 AM

I made the night & day last year, I'm not good at following pattern, I usually do paper piece for the more complex looking patterns. However, I Was able to work through her book without pulling out my hair. Definitely do a practice with less expensive fabric before you use some you love, and she gives you a way to use the scraps too, which is great cause there is a ton of fabric cut away. The Quilt turned out beautiful and I donated it.

Good luck, tough decision, but again I would give it a try with practice fabric then decide on the class.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:55 AM

Shadoh-I'm one for classes too. I get it alot better and faster, however I watched Eleanor Burns actually demonstrate the making of this quilt in Puyallup, WA last year and it really is easy. I was very comfortable I bought the book to make it. But save your $65 and try it on you own first. There are so many quilters on the board that someone would jump in when you need the help! After all look what $65 can buy today! Ummmmmm more fabric-perhaps? It's a beautiful quilt-beautiful when done with the right colors.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:05 AM

Try this thread on here, with pics etc.There are more threads for you to explore before deciding. I a;so have the book, but haven't used it.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-91751-1.htm
Old 01-19-2011, 03:22 AM

I posted a Day and Night picture on here with some comments about how truly easy it was to follow her great directions with lots of pictures....please check out that thread. I don't think you need a class; just a little patience and take your time with the directions. Honestly, I was impressed at how easy it was to get perfectly matched points!
Old 01-19-2011, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by shadoh
i bought the book by Eleanor Burns (love her)..first reading so confusing, so particular with accuracy (*not my best quality)
now i see a 6 hour class offered by my LQS for 65 $ ..
money is tight right now and am wondering if it would be worthwhile to take it or use the money for fabric and just have a go at it with the book only. any thoughts out there.?? xo for replying,..ps.. love love this site.
Have you checked out her free video section on her website where she goes through the making of her quilts? She's probably got that one in one of those listings. That way you can go through it with her stopping & starting the video as needed. That's what I did with the jewel box quilt.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:32 AM

Quilter's Cache has a 12"(finished) paper pieced pattern of night and day.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts
Night and Day is not one of her videos on her site.

I agree on the price....

So with everything El, just take one step at a time..... don't look ahead. Do it exactly the way she says and it will turn out right.
It isn't a video per say but she does demonstrate the technique when you go to "books", click on Night and Day. Then click on more info. A short video there. After viewing that I decided to buy book last night. I personally think that you can't go wrong with Eleanor Burns books. So detailed and easy to understand.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:42 AM

Treat the book as a recipe - one step at a time. It will come together for you.

Originally Posted by shadoh
i bought the book by Eleanor Burns (love her)..first reading so confusing, so particular with accuracy (*not my best quality)
now i see a 6 hour class offered by my LQS for 65 $ ..
money is tight right now and am wondering if it would be worthwhile to take it or use the money for fabric and just have a go at it with the book only. any thoughts out there.?? xo for replying,..ps.. love love this site.