Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Nine Patch block ideas

I'm wondering if some of you might have ideas for using nine patch quilt blocks. I have made several, but can't decide how to put them into a quilt top.
    I've done a seach on the Quilting Board as well as google, but didn't find anything inspiring. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places.
    If you've made a quilt using nine patches, have you used other blocks along with them, or maybe you alternated the nine patches with plain fabric blocks, or.............well, please share your ideas and quilts.

Thank so much~

Blog Entries
    I often mix 9 patches with plain blocks that show a pretty or interesting print. Neat for using some of the cute kids fabrics. My favorite is using 9 patches wiith snowball blocks. They are quick and easy to do also and make a fun quilt.

Blog Entries
    two things I've seen that I like are to alternate them with snowball blocks and also the disappearing 9 patch.

Blog Entries
    Someone on this board made a beautiful one with appliqued flowers and cats on it. It was made of all 9 patches but the colors she chose in the 9 patches and appliques transformed the quilt!

I'm fascinated with the disappearing nine patch! That is at the top of my list to do after I finish the quilt I'm working on now.

Blog Entries
    We were just discussing this yesterday

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-54513-1.htm

I do appreciate all of your ideas.

Some ideas I've tossed around are a Rail Fence Block, plain fabric blocks (using a neutral color) and the Snowball Block. I also ran across the Sister's Choice quilt that uses a nine patch for the center of the blocks. I hope to try that one next time. I read somewhere, and it might be on the thread Amma shared, to make the Snowball block using the same fabric for each corner - that it would pull a scappy looking quilt together. Well, I'm leaning towards doing just that, as my nine patch blocks are a controlled scrappy look.

I'm anxious to get started as I made these blocks a few weeks ago. Just about everyday I try a new layout and nothing looks "just right"

I'll share pictures if I ever get this new computer figured out. I'm not a "high tech" type person.LOL

Thanks so very much~

in the tutorial section there is 9 patch with a twist, the next generation. they do it like the d9p, but add another step... very cool looking

I usually alternate my nine patches with plain blocks. Sometime I fussy cut the solid blocks to highlight a picture on that fabric. I know, clear as mud.

My first one was a "framed 9 patch". Free pattern on www.about.com . I'm only on #4 now, but I'm betting someday I will make another framed 9 patch because it really did turn out pretty and was fairly simple (once I made sure I was sewing the frames the right way. :-)