Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
No dealer around?? >

No dealer around??

No dealer around??

Old 12-17-2014, 11:32 AM
Power Poster

If I absolutely couldn't get out to "test drive" different machines, I would be doing a lot of online research to narrow down my choices. Would probably start with Amazon, using the price range that interests me and displaying results by "average customer review". I would read all of the Amazon reviews, since they often contain bits and pieces of useful information about a machine. Once I got the brand and model narrowed down a bit, I would check out reviews at patternreview.com for the specific model. I would also run Google searches on the specific brand and model to check out other reviews.

I would consider purchasing from Amazon *provided* it is a sewing machine that is "sold by Amazon" in addition to being "fulfilled by Amazon". When "sold by Amazon", return is extremely easy -- you have a window of time to try out the machine. If anything is wrong with it, return shipping is free. If I simply decide I don't like the machine, I would have to pay the shipping.

AllBrands is another online possibility, but I would check out their current return policies and also current reviews on their helpfulness. They used to be pretty good.

Most dealers will not take a return on a sewing machine (a few exceptions, especially if you decide to "trade up" with the dealer), and a good dealer may no longer be in business when you need help, so buying on the internet is not necessarily riskier than buying from a local dealer.
Old 12-17-2014, 02:50 PM

Great ideas, all! So I will rope in a friend and go on the hunt. One thing, though, one of my longtime friends in NV has a Brother so I can bend her ear about the machine's features. I know for sure she loves it. And it's one I have looked at.

Great input, you all are great!
Old 12-18-2014, 03:49 AM

Where do you all read that she wants a "high end"'machine?

Tippy...if your budget is for a higher end price point machine, make the drive. If under $1,000.... Order online,mesp if you are leaning to Brother . Did you play with your friends' Brother Machine?

sandy
Old 12-19-2014, 08:02 AM

I'm with Sandygirl. I have ordered my last four machines from dealers outside of my state. NO SALES TAX AND THEY GIVE FREE SHIPPING. Their service is excellent! I call with a question and they call me right back with an answer or a fix to my problem....Not many problems...user error....all of my machines have been Janomes. Lots of videos on all of the feet uses. My out of state dealer saw a problem I was having posted on a yahoo group,She contacted me off group and told me what adjustment to make for a better decorative stitch. I was surprised she took the time. The machine wasn't one of theirs....she also sent me "repairman's" instruction on that same machine to fix another issue....perfect, everything worked great. I buy from her all the time...machines and accessories. I found I know more than my local dealers about using my machines. I have never had an issue with my Janomes. Great quilting machines.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:43 AM

If you are not looking for a high end machine try overstock.com. My sister has that problem and buys her brother machines there and says the extre she pays for a 2 year warantee is worth it and they do excelant service or just replace it. If you want a higher end then drive the 100 miles, just remember you will have to do that each time you need service. Good luck
Old 12-19-2014, 10:16 AM

I also live 100 miles from a city of any size to go to for shopping, so my friends and I get together one day a month, (since I have to go there once a month to pick up medication) and make a day of it. We share the gas, have a nice lunch somewhere, and make everyone's stops, and then take the back roads home in case we find yard sales. I say go for it. Going shopping with friends, for a machine gives you that many more people to think of all the questions you should ask, just agree ahead of time to disagree on what machine is most wonderful, cause you will, lol!
Old 12-19-2014, 02:14 PM

How far are you from Chattanooga? Elna is by far my favorite, comes in several price ranges, and I bought mine at Paducah last April and the dealer can't be beat for service, etc. I don't know if they sell other brands; I am too starstruck by Elna.
Old 12-19-2014, 05:31 PM

I'm around Charleston SC, so it would be either Columbia or Savannah (GA). My hubby and I have talked about going to Savannah, so that is an option. There is a Brother dealer there.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:42 PM

Living a fair distance away can also make it very difficult to take classes that may come with your machine. I'm also far away from any good size town and am having this issue with my embroidery software.
Robin in TX
Old 12-20-2014, 06:43 PM

also check on line for customer reviews and check out rip off.com to check out the dealer you want to use