Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
No frame/no hoop ?????? >

No frame/no hoop ??????

No frame/no hoop ??????

Old 12-16-2012, 01:31 AM

I think I have every kind and size of hoop, frame, gadget available for handquilting. I've earnestly tried to use them and I just can't get comfortable using ANY of them. I find my stitches are smaller and more even without. I use a size 11 between and a good thimble and get 10 consistant sts per inch. I took a handquilting class when I wanted to begin handquilting and my teacher tried to get me to get comfortable with some kind (ANY kind) of hoop or frame but I just couldn't get the hang of it. All it was doing was frustrating me and making me not want to handquilt. I showed her some of my work recently and she says it's show worthy. Moral of the story: There is NO rule that says you have to do ANYTHING one way. Do whatever makes you comfortable and happy and enjoy the ride!
Old 12-16-2012, 02:33 AM

this lap quilt frame looks interesting. http://video.search.yahoo.com/video/...&fr=aaplw&tt=b
Old 12-16-2012, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by Val in IN View Post
I think I have every kind and size of hoop, frame, gadget available for handquilting. I've earnestly tried to use them and I just can't get comfortable using ANY of them. I find my stitches are smaller and more even without. I use a size 11 between and a good thimble and get 10 consistant sts per inch. I took a handquilting class when I wanted to begin handquilting and my teacher tried to get me to get comfortable with some kind (ANY kind) of hoop or frame but I just couldn't get the hang of it. All it was doing was frustrating me and making me not want to handquilt. I showed her some of my work recently and she says it's show worthy. Moral of the story: There is NO rule that says you have to do ANYTHING one way. Do whatever makes you comfortable and happy and enjoy the ride!
Thank you...I'm am tired of being looked at because I don't use a frame or hoop and is the reason I quilt solo.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:16 AM

I've tried them all, big quilt sized wooden ones, smaller one made out of an old card table, hoop on a stand, lap hoops, etc. etc. Now after many years I don't use any hoop at all and it's much more relaxing to do the quilting. I either thread baste or more recently glue baste and quilt away. Works fine for me. Use whatever works for you.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:28 AM

In my previous house, I had a living room that we never used, so I set up my large floor frame and started a whole cloth queen sized quilt (another UFO which i forgot), which is what I prefer. I am hand quilting a farmer's wife throw, and have tried, my large hoop, just couldn't get comfortable, went to a 6" hoop, didn't like that. I am trying to get used to hand quilting without a hoop, it seems to be working. But nothing seem comfortable - I think it is the chair I am using. I will go back to using the dining room table and chair once the holidays are over. A good supportive chair does help too.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:30 AM

I hand quilt without a frame of any kind...just too restraining for me.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:05 PM

A lot of people on the board use the elmers glue...I personally hand quilt everything, but have to use my frame. I have my teen daughters pin my sandwich for me, since I can't get on the floor to do this anymore...Even standing to pin or baste at a table some days is hard....So. the frame really helps me keep and adjut everything for even tension..The only thing I can't use is the floor frame...I would need to be a contortionist to use that!! Maybe in my next life I should come back as Gumby
Old 12-17-2012, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by teddysmom View Post
I'm fairly new to hand quilting and I can't seem to get the hang of using a round hoop or any kind of frame. When I sandwich the quilt, I pin, pin, pin making sure everything is tight and smooth. Then I basically use a small frame to keep the quilt from falling on the floor and keeping it directly off my lap and quilt in my lap. Any one else do that and is it easier for you than quilting on a frame?
I use a small round hoop now; it seems to keep the layers together better. I also have a q-snap frame that I can set up for several people to quilt at. The hoop does not take up any room and it hangs in my closet when not in use.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:38 AM

I have made only one quilt and I used 505 and it was wonderful for machine quilting.

My question for you wonderful ladies is this:
Have any of you used basting spray such as 505 to hold your quilt together for hand quilting?
If so, how did it work compared to thread or pin basting?

I have a hoop to try hand quilting but I haven't had the courage yet to go for it...but I will, and if that doesn't work, I'll give the,"nothing but my lap" style of hand quilting a try. :-)

Thank you for all the great information you share.