Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
No more charms for me >

No more charms for me

No more charms for me

Old 08-18-2011, 12:29 PM

I dont know why I keep buying these charm square packs. I guess I dont like the idea of not knowing whats in the stack. I recently bought a pack that is supposed to be Christmas fabrics for a yo yo tree wallhanging on Modabakeshop. The one in the picture was really cute and cheerful so I found the pack and background online. The pattern said the background was white so I bought exactly the one mentioned. Got the right background in my order but it is predominantly mint green and then found out that Moda doesnt even have a white version. The charm pack has so many un-christmas colors in it, none of which the bakeshop poster used. Lots of black and avocado greens which doesnt even begin to go with the mint green. The pattern calls for 21 yo yo's so I figured I would be able to make 2 wallhangings. I can if I substitute some of my own Christmas fabrics, which I will do. No more charm packs for me. I really like many of the patterns that call for the packs, but I can cut 5" squares myself. I know the packs are able to give you a lot of variety, but there are so many duplicates that the variety is pretty limited.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:34 PM

I feel your pain! I too no longer buy pre cuts smaller than a fat quarter, and thats rare, to many issues.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:35 PM

http://www.unitednotions.com/un_main.nsf/mf_comingsoon!OpenPage
If you look on here, you can usually see the whole fabric line to know if it is anything you want.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:43 PM

I am the same, no more charm packs. Some that ive bought have had only 1/2 squares inside the pack and also corners cut off. Very disappointing to say the least
Old 08-18-2011, 01:04 PM
Power Poster

With Moda the very top charm fabric is the fabric that has all the colors of the other charms in one fabric. You can see in an instant the color scheme.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:38 PM

I have been disappionted with precuts in general...even fat quarters. I've been buying yardage to save my sanity!
Old 08-18-2011, 03:42 PM

I have never bought a precut in my life, and doubt I ever will. They cost more per yard and I can cut my own fabric, thank you very much.

I have never seen a pack of precuts with fabric that I would buy separately.

I suspect precuts are leftovers that they throw together to get rid of remnants. It's a win-win for them.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:48 PM

I bought two .... and no more.. the value just is not there. and they were not a well cut as I thought they should be.
Once in a while I will see a project that would be perfect for a precut charm ... but I just can not do again.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:51 PM

Location: My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA

I buy those too.. and have them in storage.. It's like baseball cards.. that and the fat quarters on the JoAnn's wall.

Why ? only for a quilt in the future and.... a bigger stash.. fun post. thanks !

Ell
Old 08-18-2011, 04:00 PM

Most of the time I need more fabric than what is in a fat quarter but I do like them when doing appliques on clothing because you're not using the fabric again, like in a quilt. But apparently there are enough people who do like them, because Joann's and Hancock's stock is nearly always on the low side. Chris