Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
No More Quilting Purchases!!! >

No More Quilting Purchases!!!

No More Quilting Purchases!!!

Old 07-30-2011, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by jean1941
May have do like me on fixed income just stay home and work on what I have and stay out of stores It is hard but we can do it if we stick together and keep telling ourselves that we can do it LOL
I also agree. I stay away from the LQS so I don't spend money I can't afford. My stash still have great fabrics for me to make use of.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:00 AM

Geez. I wish I knw the answer. I am in the same boat. DH says I do not know the difference between "on sale and for sale".. LOL
Old 07-30-2011, 01:45 PM

I know EXACTLY what you mean! It's so difficult to pass up buying new patterns, fabric, you name it! Right now I have so many UFO's that it's crazy, and I have somewhat committed to working on several of them as they are close to being done anyway.

However, with that said, look at it as an investment, you know, for retirement. If you retire and don't have lots of money to spend on quilt stuff, you can dig thru your stash! When you consider that fabric prices are going up, up, up, this make a TINY BIT of sense!
Old 07-30-2011, 03:16 PM

I truly beleive I am stashing for retirement! :) I stopped by Thursday nite 10 minutes before Hancocks closed. Just got some material for backing and thread. Didn't do to bad. I gave a quilt for a birthday gift last week, and today I made some blankies and such for a local motherhood shelter! Also, made a few pincushions for Christmas gifts. All this takes time and money and a much dreaded trip to the fabric store, I guess I got to do it!:) I need to make a few more things before I can do more purchases! Unless I find a great sale or my car steers it's way into a quilt store!
Old 07-30-2011, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by amymarieski
I know EXACTLY what you mean! It's so difficult to pass up buying new patterns, fabric, you name it! Right now I have so many UFO's that it's crazy, and I have somewhat committed to working on several of them as they are close to being done anyway.

However, with that said, look at it as an investment, you know, for retirement. If you retire and don't have lots of money to spend on quilt stuff, you can dig thru your stash! When you consider that fabric prices are going up, up, up, this make a TINY BIT of sense!
Oh, I think that makes sew much sense!!!
Old 07-30-2011, 03:44 PM

When you figure it out PLEASE let me know! I need help! :shock:
Old 07-30-2011, 03:49 PM

My main approach is setting a cash budget, and shopping with cash. Leaving credit cards and checkbooks at home. (Just like others have said).

I personally avoid going to quilt stores. I have unsubscribed from quilting store emails/flyers. They are both HUG temptation points for me.

I'm currently participating in the fabric moratorium (on this board). It's been going since November last year, and ends this November. There are a number of options, depending on areas that you want to focus on. It doesn't need to be a "don't buy at all" approach.

My preference is to purchase backing, batting and a small amount of fabric to finish WIPs or other projects purchased but not yet started.

Some have decided that they will spend when really good sales occur. "Really good" is dependent on their own budget.

I'm afraid the only real answer is self constraint. But in that you can express great creativity with the resources you already have.

Good luck.
Old 07-30-2011, 03:54 PM

I just stay home, and delete the adds without opening them. Did go shopping yesterday, spent less than $40.00 at JoAnn's.
Saving for Marden's in Oct.:)
Old 07-30-2011, 04:04 PM

Every time I resolve to stop buying I, too, see something I can't live without. However, the stash is now obscene, I'm out of storage space in my made to order quilt studio and I haven't finished anything in several years. I tell people that my hobby is buying fabric and starting quilts. Perhaps we should start a support group similar to AA. Commit to completing a UFO before setting foot in another quilt shop unless you need something for that particular UFO. Take a buddy with you to squelch your tendency to start check out any other stuff there. I have a similar problem with chocolate and make it a hard and fast rule to never have it in the house.

Jane (Kit's mamma and I'm Rocky's mamma too.)
Old 07-30-2011, 04:27 PM

TAKE YOUR SPOUSE. HE'LL FOLLOW YOU AND PUT THE DAMPER ON BUYING MORE....voice of experience