Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
No More Quilting Purchases!!! >

No More Quilting Purchases!!!

No More Quilting Purchases!!!

Old 07-25-2011, 12:42 PM

My problem is looking on line! It's too easy to fill up that cart!
Power Poster

Originally Posted by happymrs
I don't purchase much anymore. I have so much stash, beautiful stash, so try to work from it, as much as possible. I go to quilt club once a month & usually buy a few fqs, but not a lot else. DH is retired now, so we live on less, but you know, mainly, I want to put my stash to good use, & enjoy it while I can, & I hate to think of leaving it all to someone else someday!
Something that helps me too, is I go spend time in my studio, going through what I already have. That's a real wake up call! So you all might try doing that sometimes. You just might be amazed at what you already have in your stash, & start thinking about not buying a lot more, all the time. This has helped me ALOT...

That is so true. I had a really hard time not looking and then of course I would see things that called my name. Only thing that wasn't calling my name was the green stuff (money). It's hard at first but you can do it. I just don't look at things (much) anymore. I keep in the back of my mind all of my stash and it gets easier as the days go bye. Hang in there. You will feel so much better when you get it under control. BrendaK

I don't know how to stop either!
Old 07-25-2011, 12:45 PM

spending OR not spending is a hard thing for all of us!
stay out of the stores!
just repeat, "next time", "next time....."
Old 07-25-2011, 12:47 PM
Power Poster

put your budgeted money in a separate envelope. when it's gone, it's time to stop shopping.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:52 PM

When I can't buy I stay away from places fabric is sold. Been stying at home a lot lately.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:56 PM

I don't go fabric looking unless I HAVE to have something to complete a project. In 2011 I am allowing my self the 4 Bs...backing, batting, background, border only. If I can't make it from my stash I will have to do something else.
Debbie
Old 07-25-2011, 01:01 PM

My problem is not going to stores - I pretty much hate shopping and stores. But then one of you-all shows a pretty piece of fabric or talks about an online sale and I can't resist. Too easy online.

I do like the four questions that charity-crafter uses.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:07 PM
Banned

I feel your pain. My $900 shower redo turned into $2200 last week and the termite guy took another $900 the same week. Needless to say we had a QS trip already planned for this past Friday so I could not back out but decided in advance to just look. Ok $162 later I had fabric for a couple. My daugter tells me it's like AA but FA. I'm familar with AA and realized you have to admit it's an issue. So here is what she challenged me with. 12 months no buy. Can I do it? Only thing that doesn't count is batting and backing if I buy a sheet to use. I should mention the new quilting frame, stitch regulator and pattern perfect last month didn't help the budget. So as of July 25, 2011 I am trying a 12 month no buy. Repeat after me - my name if vicky and I'm a fabricaholic. It's been 3 days since my last purchase. I should mention you have to have a good sized stash to do this or sew slow. I made 2 baby quilts over the weekend. Anyone wanna join in
Old 07-25-2011, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Zhillslady
I feel your pain. My $900 shower redo turned into $2200 last week and the termite guy took another $900 the same week. Needless to say we had a QS trip already planned for this past Friday so I could not back out but decided in advance to just look. Ok $162 later I had fabric for a couple. My daugter tells me it's like AA but FA. I'm familar with AA and realized you have to admit it's an issue. So here is what she challenged me with. 12 months no buy. Can I do it? Only thing that doesn't count is batting and backing if I buy a sheet to use. I should mention the new quilting frame, stitch regulator and pattern perfect last month didn't help the budget. So as of July 25, 2011 I am trying a 12 month no buy. Repeat after me - my name if vicky and I'm a fabricaholic. It's been 3 days since my last purchase. I should mention you have to have a good sized stash to do this or sew slow. I made 2 baby quilts over the weekend. Anyone wanna join in
ME ME ME!! :) I am a fabricaholic/notionaholic. I will have to start tomorrow since I already made a purchase today. However, I vow to make no additional purchases (only buy something to complete a project) until my stash is whittled down to odds and ends (no pieces purchased for a project). Oh wait. Except for the baby quilt I want to make for a cousin (nothing in my stash for babies). :)