Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: No Sewing Until You Quilt It

Hello everyone...I just heard something about an applique technique developed by Ann Holmes called No Sewing Until You Quilt It. I don't want to incite any copyright infringement :lol: but am curious to know if any of you have seen this technique and would be willing to give me an idea of what's involved. Thanks in advance!

Blog Entries
    If you google it, I see the word *french fused applique* in there a lot..... would explain some things

Blog Entries
    humm, will need to google and see if I can find out about it

Quote Originally Posted by kathymarie
    Hello everyone...I just heard something about an applique technique developed by Ann Holmes called No Sewing Until You Quilt It. I don't want to incite any copyright infringement :lol: but am curious to know if any of you have seen this technique and would be willing to give me an idea of what's involved. Thanks in advance!

Just found this on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKFpuGVNHVU Looks interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by DebbieJJ
    Just found this on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKFpuGVNHVU Looks interesting.
    Didn't get much from the youtube clip --- don't understand why she had to put freezer paper on top a a gradient fabric. Don't quite get where it's going. I'd like to know a little more of what it's about before I would commit $$ to purchasing DVD.

You can't copyright a technique, so no worries there.

It looked to me like the freezer paper was used as a template for the various shapes, placed on the appropriate section of the gradient fabric to get the color that piece needed, and the French fusible was on the back of the fabric pieces. My guess is that these were then adhered in a certain order to a backing fabric without removing the freezer paper until it was all ironed down. It kind of looked like the layers may have overlapped a little bit, too.

Quote Originally Posted by meemersmom
    Quote Originally Posted by DebbieJJ
    Didn't get much from the youtube clip --- don't understand why she had to put freezer paper on top a a gradient fabric. Don't quite get where it's going. I'd like to know a little more of what it's about before I would commit $$ to purchasing DVD.
    That's my feeling exactly...the only thing I can find out with any certainty is that the dvd is thirty bucks....I'd at least like to know something about the technique....thanks everyone for posting....

Very interesting.
    The youtube video is not from the designer... so I went to the designer's website http://www.annholmesstudios.com/Ann_...bsite/DVD.html
    and learned even less from her preview except that she was originally a stained glass artist and she has a pretty front door lol. I wish they would have showed a bit more of the technique. I'm now interested in finding out more and possibly getting the video but I agree $30 is a pretty hefty price for an unknown item.

okay, having said that, I just clicked on her lectures and workshops and got a little more info about it. I think I might have to look in to this a little more. I do love art quilts... http://www.annholmesstudios.com/Ann_...workshops.html

It looks to me like she's fusing the top together, but not sewing it until it's sandwiched. Then she sews her applique and quilts at the same time. At least that's the impression I'm getting.
    Curious about the turned under edges though...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast