Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
No sheet sleeping >

No sheet sleeping

No sheet sleeping

Old 10-17-2016, 10:17 AM

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.
I had thought of velcro, but thought that buttons would look better.
I 'll let y'all know what I do. ��
Old 10-17-2016, 10:32 AM

I think snaps are a great idea also.
Old 10-17-2016, 10:33 AM

here's my thought. Put a large border on the quilt top. Buy a flat sheet that coordinates with the quilt. Add a double faced border in the same print as the quilt top border to the top of the flat sheet. Stitch the sides of the flat sheet / border to form a pocket. Use heavy duty snaps to hold inside of added flat sheet border to outside of quilt, perhaps every 10".

Ok, thinking about it, he will still not like the top sheet. Why not make him a bed runner to go with a solid comforter. You could even make him quilted pillowcases- a few sets that go with the bed runner. They have masculine patterns out there.
Old 10-17-2016, 10:42 AM
Power Poster

Do not think buttons would work satisfactory--I used velcro to fasten one I made.
Old 10-17-2016, 12:41 PM
RST

We're not fans of top sheets in our family either. I suspect that your idea would make you feel better but would not be something he enjoyed or used on his own.

Posters above me have given good ideas, and we do variations of some of them. Most of us use an inexpensive commercial comforter with an easily washed, solid duvet (cover). Then we use our quilts for cuddling on an extra cold night or for decorative effect draped at the foot of the bed or set on point over the comforter. We use lots of quilts, but not as the primary bed cover-- we each have one to curl up with while watching TV and we keep them semi-displayed in a basket in the lounge. My college age kids have favorite quilts they took to college-- quick easily constructed, heavily quilted with the expectation that they will get washed fairly often in less than optimal conditions. They're holding up just fine and are being well loved, but won't live on to future generations as heirlooms or anything.

Consider making a utility quilt for the bed. Then making something that coordinates in colors or fabric to use as a wallhanging or throw blanket-- it can have more artistry and labor intensive elements and be used without the expectation of being heavily soiled and washed all the time.
Old 10-17-2016, 03:15 PM

I've sewn tape with snaps on it for this purpose...works well.
Old 10-17-2016, 03:38 PM

What about a wall hanging?
Old 10-17-2016, 05:41 PM

Our daughter always made her boys' beds without a top sheet. They were expected to make their beds look "respectful" before they left for school so it helped to have no top sheet. I'd never heard of it.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:12 PM

All great suggestions, but -- if he doesn't like a top sheet, why would you want to attach a sheet to his quilt?
Old 10-17-2016, 09:23 PM

In Europe it is rare to find a top sheet. Everyone we stayed with had twin quilts on the king size bed. So you have your own blanket. They were duvet covered. I really liked it - told my DH if we ever get a king size bed that is the way to go. I hate the weight of the king size blankets.