Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: (Non-fabric) Gift for a Quilter

My cousin, who is also a quilter, wanted to thin out her stash recently (a mind-set I don't quite understand). She offered me first crack at three big boxes of fabric and quilt kits/patterns, and, yes, I took most of it. After getting it all home and washing it, I realized (almost with horror) that there must be close to 30 yards of big pieces, and maybe 50 FQs, fat eighths, and half-yards. Most of them were in coordinated sets. In one fell swoop, this incredible woman doubled the size of my stash.

I want to do/get something truly wonderful for her in return, but it must be non-fabric in nature. She has a new sewing machine and a pretty good quilting set-up, and prefers applique to traditional piecing.

I was thinking of getting her one of those rotating cutting boards that Omnigrid makes, but would welcome any other ideas.

Is there something -- relatively expensive -- that you lust after, but could never justify buying for yourself?

Thanks for the ideas!

Something that I really wanted but never got for a long time after getting a new sewing machine, was a sew steady table. It makes a perfect accessory if you paper piece or applique.

I just recently got mine for $50 less $5. coupon from Allbrands. It took about 4 weeks to come, but now that it's here, I'm so glad. I love it and I wish somebody had bought it for me years ago.

Oh, that is a good idea. I used (and loved!) one for years before I got my current table. I'd have to enlist her husband to find out what make and model machine she has...

Thanks!!

Blog Entries
    How about an Ott Lite Lamp? or Create a gift basket filled with applique and piecing items?

Blog Entries
    Does she have an oversized ironing board ? They look like they would be great to use :mrgreen: I dream of that :wink:

Since she has a new machine, how about either a gift card for some 'extra' feet she may want, or if she has an embroidery machine too, a new hoop?

I'm with the Crafty1 on the Ott light. Or you could assemble a basket of teas, cookies, and chocolates for keeping the body going while having fun. Does she have a radio in her sewing room?

I like your idea of getting her a rotating cutting board. That would be a very useful gift. I am not familiar with the Omnigrid rotating board, but I can tell you that the one by Fiskars is terrible, ask me how I know!

Another idea, does she have applique scissors? They have a duckbill blade that really makes cutting appliques easy. If she has been doing applique for some time she may already have a pair.

A gift card is always a welcome gift too!

Great ideas, everyone! Keep 'em coming!! :-D

How about taking a class together or going to quilt camp together? The gift of time/experience. My mom takes me to her chapter's quilt camp every fall -- it's fun to spend time with her and get away and (of course) have several days to just SEW!! :)

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast