Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Northcott "Fabric Buyer for a Day" >

Northcott "Fabric Buyer for a Day"

Northcott "Fabric Buyer for a Day"

Old 06-25-2011, 05:33 PM

LQS offered Northcott "Fabric Buyer for a Day" today. It was interesting; I'd recommend going if you have a chance near you.

Cost was $5, but everyone got door prizes. LQS that held it had 25% off all purchases, not just Northcott.

After a brief history of the company and how it evolved into a quilt fabric co., they showed several of their upcoming lines. We got to vote on which ones we liked, and in which color way. Those fabric lines are the ones that were shown in Salt Lake City a little over a month ago, and will be in stores in the late fall.

There was discussion of fabric production - approximately 9 mo's from selection of design to time of release in stores, most fabrics for all of the "big" companies made in 7 printing plants in So. Korea, the amount of fabric produced in a run (3,000 yards, whittled down to 15 yd bolts), where designs come from (for their Stonehedge line, the designer was inspired by a tile in a store her father owns) and how designers are paid (royalties). Questions from people did lead to talk about Connecting Threads (made in US but dyed in Mexico), and how chains can offer "the same" fabrics (almost never are exactly the same; a small portion of the pattern will differ and are not on the same quality greige goods).

Wish I liked their fabrics more. Although I love the feel, their designs are, in general, too modern for my taste. I do like some of the Stonehedge fabrics very much. My door prize was a packet of 8 fat 1/4's (unforutnately, in the metallic line). Many of those were given out. Some won panels, some aprons, one person won a lap size quilt!
Old 06-25-2011, 05:36 PM
Power Poster

That sounds like so much fun. Very interesting:)
Old 06-25-2011, 05:43 PM

What LQS was this?
Old 06-25-2011, 06:38 PM

Ivy Thimble in Victor, but it has been done at several shops.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:56 PM

any day at a quilt shop is better than any day at home! AND learning to boot! I'd call it a good day myself. Even if you don't necessarily like the fabrics there will be more to pick from I'm sure you will like!
Old 06-25-2011, 06:57 PM

Wow, wish I had known I would have gone. Have only been to the Ivy Thimble once last year on a shop hop. Want to get there again this summer hopefully.

Kat
Old 06-25-2011, 08:13 PM

Sounds like fun!! I'll look for one near me.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:38 PM

That sounds like a fun day. If you don't care for your prize...offer it for sale here. Some of us like metallics. ;)