Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Nosie >

Nosie

Nosie

Old 05-20-2015, 08:46 AM
Banned

Are you SURE you want to get into machine embroidery? The reason I ask it that way is because it's an expensive hobby. If you buy a big more expensive machine(and all the necessary supplies, it gets expensive) and then decide it's not for you, then you've got a big investment into something you don't like.
On the other hand, if you buy a smaller less expensive machine that only has a small hoop size and find that you love this hobby, you'll quickly outgrow it and want one with a larger hoop size. This is what happened to me.
I actually have three embroidery machines now. I started with the Janome MC200e. It's a good starter machine because it has a 5.5" square hoop. Larger than most starter machines, it actually can embroider lots of the 5x7 designs, you just have to check the actual dimensions of the design before you buy it. It didn't take long though until I wanted a bigger machine. I was going to buy a Brother Designio 820,(great machine,my BFF has it)but by chance I ran into a great deal on a used Janome MC350e.
Another thing to think about is all the supplies like threads, stabilizers, etc. that you'll need. I spent a ton of money at the dealer on basic supplies when I bought the 200e, then went home and found much less expensive supplies online.
I guess it all boils down to how much you're willing to spend. The low end Brothers are decent machines for not much money if you can be happy with a 4x4 hoop. Most of the higher end brands of embroidery machines are built by Brother or Janome anyway so I'd go with one of these.

Cari
Old 05-21-2015, 04:02 AM

I have 2 Brother embroidery machines. One is a 6770 with a 4 inch hoop and the other is a 780D with a 5 x 7 hoop. They were very easy to learn to operate. The 6770 was around $600 and the 780 was $1,300.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:41 AM

Do you have anyone close by, where you could watch what they have to go thru to actually get to the embroidery design on the fabric? I have a Brother ULT2002D that I just love, but like others have said, it's an expensive hobby. And I learned without anyone showing me the ropes, so if I were in your shoes, I'd make sure I purchased a machine where I'd be sure to get a few classes also.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:09 AM

I have a Brother PE770. I paid about $500. online last year. One thing I would suggest is getting a machine that uses at least a 5x7 hoop. I wish this one could do larger designs but it does what I need. I do have a 5x12 hoop that works for doing larger areas but the design can't be larger than 5x7. I use it when quilting to put two designs back to back, etc.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:33 AM

You need to go shopping. What is best for me is not necessarily best for you. You need to see what features are offered and the prices. You need to sit down at machines and try them out. As you can see, your question generated lots of different machines in lots of different price ranges.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:00 PM

I had a Pfaff 2144. Then the software was no longer useful because it was not compatible with windows 8. So now I have the machine and hoops for sale. Someone just needs to buy the software to go with it. I bought a Brother Innovis Dream Creator XE. If I could lift it, I'd pitch it out the window! I can not lift it to my car to go for a lesson. When I do go the teacher is rude and condescending and not helpful. So far, $4000.00 later I have successfully embroidered out 2 designs. The sewing part of the machine is great! I did an impulse buy and am so sorry. Good luck in your search. I love doing embroidery! I don't mean to sound angry but I am so frustrated with this hobby I love almost as much as quilting!

Last edited by maryellen2u; 05-21-2015 at 06:04 PM.