Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
not another elmer glue ?!!!!!!!! >

not another elmer glue ?!!!!!!!!

not another elmer glue ?!!!!!!!!

Old 08-27-2013, 04:57 AM

Default not another elmer glue ?!!!!!!!!

I know this has been beaten to death but I`m about to atemp this and have a couple more ?So I tape down my back and spread glue put down my poly bat then do I glue the poly bat and put the top on or do I wait to let the back and bat dry before atemping to put on the top? Is it hard to put glue on the poly or should you glue the back of the top.I think this would be hard. Thanks Gale
Old 08-27-2013, 05:15 AM
dd

I put the batting down, put the glue one the batting (poly) then smoothed the fabric (backing or top) over the batting and ironed it mostly dry. Then flipped it over and repeated. Now I did notice that the glue seeped thru the poly and it was stuck to my table in a couple places. Didn't have that with the cotton batting. I then hung it to dry completely, overnight, before I quilted it. Washed it and all the glue came out and my mom loved her birthday present.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:05 AM

Glue goes on the batting and if you are ironing a poly batting do not have your iron too hot!
Old 08-27-2013, 06:32 AM

Hi . Have a good time read this tute in our tutorials. It has pictures showing what to do. Basting with Elmer's Washable School Glue
Old 08-27-2013, 06:39 AM

I just tried a sample.I`m Hooked! Was thinking I would water it down but didn`t. Someone said they threw out their timing but I didn`t have any lumps. I just opened the orange top not all the way. I put it on the backing fabric smoothed on the bat then put on more glue on the bat and then smoothed on the top.Gave it a little iron not too hot. I`m going to let it dry overnite and then quilt this sample. I think I`ll be doing it this way from now on! Gale
Old 08-27-2013, 06:02 PM

It really is fun seeing how easy it is when you try it for the first time! :-)
Old 08-28-2013, 04:43 AM
dd

The best part is, no pins to worry about while quilting!
Old 08-28-2013, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by grma33 View Post
I put it on the backing fabric smoothed on the bat then put on more glue on the bat and then smoothed on the top.
grma33, Please be careful, if you re-read some of the other posts you'll see that most people lay the batting down first and put the glue on it, and then put the top or backing on the batting. If you put the backing down first and put glue on it, your glue may seep through and glue the backing to the table or floor!

Glad to hear that you're a convert - some people just say, "I'll never put glue on my quilt," without ever trying it.

Tate
Old 08-28-2013, 07:36 PM

I actually pin mine to the wall! Honest!! If you go to this link http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...t180790-2.html look at post #51 (numbers are in the upper right corner of each post) for my version of how to do it. I've done it for years, now it's a popular way to baste. Go Figure!
Old 08-29-2013, 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by tate_elliott View Post
grma33, Please be careful, if you re-read some of the other posts you'll see that most people lay the batting down first and put the glue on it, and then put the top or backing on the batting. If you put the backing down first and put glue on it, your glue may seep through and glue the backing to the table or floor!

Glad to hear that you're a convert - some people just say, "I'll never put glue on my quilt," without ever trying it.

Tate
Thanks for the advice but I`m still going to tape down the back and put glue on it first. If it seeps through its washable isn`t it? Gale