Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Not to beat an old horse---but,

I snip the corner of FQs, then put into mesh bag..for fabrics more than a yard, I serge the ends.

I pink the edges. It is cheap, fast and works great. There is no warping from pulled threads, etc. I also throw the fat quarters and fat eighths into a mesh bag or pillowcase to wash.

Blog Entries
    I separate FQs and put 2 or 3 into mesh laundry bags. Luckily, my washer has a very gentle - hand wash - setting, so I use that. Snipping off a corner at the selvages helps some to avoid long ravels. I just soak charms, but don't buy jellyrolls (at least not fabric ones!!) I include color catchers when I wash colored fabrics.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    I don't wash FQ's and Jelly rolls.
    I don't prewash anything. But for the IRR, I would put the piece in a bowl with hot water and a drop of dishwashing liquid, swish it for a couple minutes, then rinse in cold water, wring by hand and then iron dry. No raveling. Unless it was Moda fabric. That ravels like crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by bj
    I've heard if you snip the corners off of a fat quarter it won't ravel, but I've not tried it.
    I haven't tried this either. I never did anything to the cut edges until I read it here on the Board. I had some heavy woven fabric that needed something to keep it together so I machine basted along the cut edge. My fat quarters I threw into a small mesh bag - those came out good. Still haven't done anything with my cottons though. I have a front loading machine and I've noticed that I don't get much fraying. :thumbup:

I never prewash anything but stuff I get from thrift stores or garage sale. Any quality fabric from my LQS is not washed.

Quote Originally Posted by lovequilts
    I never prewash anything but stuff I get from thrift stores or garage sale. Any quality fabric from my LQS is not washed.
    Those are the only fabrics I prewash too!!!!

mesh bag or an old pillow case

I'd just soak the strips in the sink. FQ's you could soak too but I wash with the rest of the stuff. Most times there's shrinkage and some wonkiness after too.

Central Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quilter2B
    I have a front loading machine and I've noticed that I don't get much fraying. :thumbup:
    After switching from a top loading to a front loading machine I've noticed the same thing. I'm delighted!

Jan in VA

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast