Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Not buying any new fabric !! >

Not buying any new fabric !!

Not buying any new fabric !!

Old 02-03-2015, 04:53 PM

I recently moved most of my FQ's out of boxes and into a small Lawyers Cabinet and can now see what I have and boy has it helped me to move some of that fabric out! My other fabric is on boards and in big Lawyers Cabinets and again I can see what I have and use from it before I go buy. With that being said, I did just spend $150 online with Joanns for blender for children's/donation quilts. I was almost out of all my bright colors...again I could glance and check it.
Old 02-03-2015, 05:54 PM
Power Poster

Hello my friend. My favorite color is blue. hint hint. lol.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:46 PM

Our guild just helped to sell the fabric of a woman who passed away. Many items still had tags and we charged 50%, still we sold $17,000.00 and there is a ton left. The money will go to her son and I'm so thankful he came to us and he will get some of his moms money. She had way toooooo much and it showed me to STOP buying and use up what I have
Old 02-03-2015, 09:08 PM

I have organized my stash and it took 5 shelves on two 50 ft closets...In the last 2 years I have only purchased fabric when I don't have the right color to complete a project...that has only happened two times. I am piecing some fabrics for backings and I think that sometimes it makes the quilt more interesting...
Also I am pulling out some fabrics that I know I will never use so I have given them to a 4-H sewing group.. getting the next generation sewing..
Old 02-03-2015, 09:21 PM

I don't even want to talk about it! My name is Leesa and I am a fabriholic!
Old 02-03-2015, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
Stashes are perfect for all scrappy all the time quilters. But planned quilts? Hopeless, you ever have enough of the right stuff.
Thank you, you put in words how I feel about building a stash. I make planned quilts and didn't understand how purchasing small pieces of fabric would make it easier. Prior to join this site my definition of stash was all the leftover scraps from other projects. Someday I will make a scrappy quilt from the scraps I have saved.
Old 02-04-2015, 04:25 AM

It has been about two years since I have bought fabric just because I liked it. I have bought only what I have needed to finish a quilt and only after checking my stash. When I realized how much money I was storing in my closet, I decided it was time to stop. There will always be fabric out there that you like and tastes change.
Old 02-04-2015, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
Hang in there. I went on the fabric wagon in October 2001. Wanting to buy more fabric in the first 6-8 months almost make me ill...it was just a habit that had become an addiction.
30 pounds of fabric equals 100 yards, give or take a few inches.

My stash didn't even begin to look like so many shown here...and it took me 13 years to use it down to what I consider acceptable levels. Stashes are perfect for all scrappy all the time quilters. But planned quilts? Hopeless, you ever have enough of the right stuff.

Good luck, PM me if you need real courage. The wink wink nudge nudge about getting a handle on stash here isn't the answer if you really want to get a grip on the problem..

Another way to look at it, buying fabric because it is on sale, only flys if you put the $$ you saved in a savings account on the way home from the store. Other wise all you've done is spent money and saved nothing.
I am going to try your idea of putting the money saved into a savings acct. but also I am going to try very hard to not buy what I don't need unless for a specific project..I might need you as a life coach..lol
Old 02-04-2015, 05:33 AM
Power Poster

My group of sew friends and I shop for free at each other's stash before buying new. I need a light blue I see what they have first. This has worked great for us.
Old 02-04-2015, 05:41 AM

I have too much fabric also. It doesn't sound like I have a fraction of what some of you have though. I just have a small space to store it. Two years ago I stopped buying fabric except for what I needed to finish a project. My kids give me gift cards to the LQS at Christmas and birthday that I can spend through the year. That helps a lot. For the last two years I have been finishing UFOs. It has been a challenge to me because I had so many. That has helped with the fabric buying too. This year I think I will get all my UFOs finished. I am down to six. When I finish those, I will start on all the quilt kits I have bought. I have more kits than I do random fabric purchases. I make a list at the beginning of each year for which quilts to complete. So far my plan has worked. I can see that my stash is going down. Good luck to all who are trying to use up the stash and may you live long enough to need to buy more fabric.