Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Not Gonna Finish It >

Not Gonna Finish It

Not Gonna Finish It

Old 02-16-2011, 03:25 AM
Banned

OK, I decided to make a baby quilt for one of my best friend's grandbaby. Born in August. Got the top done (love it) and made the sandwich, but I just cannot get the quilting. I have ripped it out more than six times. I HATE QUILTING!!!!! I HATE IT, I HATE IT, I HATE IT! I swear I would rather re-marry my ex than every quilt anything again! (And that is SO not going to happen) So, I am not going to finish it. I may take it up to my LQS and see if I can pay someone there to do it. It's just a baby quilt, so it's way too small to send to my LAQ'r. Otherwise, I'm gonna sew a big X from corner to corner and use it for a dog bed, or a bath mat or a cleaning rag. Note to self: NO MORE SMALL QUILTS!!
Old 02-16-2011, 03:27 AM

I understand....the "quilting part" scares me. I have managed to sew my name and a few doodles but that's it.

Lynn
Old 02-16-2011, 03:30 AM

How about tying it with yarn, like they did in the old days. I have done a few of my baby quilts like that, and people really thought it was cute.
You can match the yarn to the colors in your quilt. And it will save you some money.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:30 AM

OH DEAR, sounds like you have had a really bad day.
put it away and look at it another time when you are more in control of you frustrations.
Hope you do finish it or get someone else to. lots of time and effort go into our quilts it would be a shame to let it beat you.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by chickadeee55
How about tying it with yarn, like they did in the old days. I have done a few of my baby quilts like that, and people really thought it was cute.
You can match the yarn to the colors in your quilt. And it will save you some money.
Thanks for the suggestion, but it really isn't a tie kind of quilt. It's a pretty, lacy girl quilt. I could just SITD in straight rows, but I really wanted something more. Oh well, it's my own fault. I know that I hate quilting, but I persisted against my better judgement. I don't like it, and I don't WANT to like it. So I just need to give up.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:39 AM

If it bothers you that much then getting rid of it is a sensible solution. I've had things like that and every time I see them I get irritated all over again. Best to get it out of your sight and system and get on with what gives you pleasure and serenity.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:47 AM

Perhaps someone on the Board would offer to do it for you. Wouldn't that be nice? There are lots of members that do quilting and seem to love it.

June in Cincinnati
Old 02-16-2011, 05:13 AM
Banned

Can you post a picture?????
Old 02-16-2011, 05:24 AM
Power Poster

quilting takes practice...everyone has a 'learning curve' instead of giving up and not finishing it maybe just do some straight line quilting, perhaps in the ditch to hold it together, or depending on the batting you chose maybe it would work out to just tie it. being a small quilt it probably does not need alot of (heirloom/custom) quilting and if you used warm & natural you have up to 10" of space between quilting requirements. and then put together some placemats or pot holders and do some more practicing so when the next baby quilt need arises you will be more comfortable finishing up :thumbup: we all have to make practice pieces...and some are total failures! but we still stick to it...and try again when something does not work
Old 02-16-2011, 05:47 AM

Hold on to it until you have a large quilt going to your LAQ and just add it to the box...