Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Not happy with quilting class >

Not happy with quilting class

Not happy with quilting class

Old 03-06-2016, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by cjsews View Post
I would continue. There are many ways to accomplish the same results. Just think of this as an experience in other options. You may find something that will help in a particular pattern. Then when the class is over you can go back to the process you prefer
I agree, I'd finish the class and you may learn some things you like. It might not even be until the future that you are working on something and those skills. I've learned many ways to do things but I end up doing it the way I want..
Old 03-06-2016, 06:40 AM
Power Poster

Good for you! Sometimes it just takes a while to settle into a class situation. Though after reading Tessagin's experience....well in that case I would have been 'steaming' and there would have been hell to pay.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:38 PM

That may be true but is it worth the $$$$$$ and time?
Old 05-17-2016, 08:08 PM

I feel your pain. I took a quilting class in the fall. I was really looking forward to it but was completely disapointed. I too am a self taught quilter, but I've been sewing for almost 40 years, so I wasn't ignorant to the concepts. The other ladies were very green to the entire process. On numerous occasions I felt the instructor singled me out in front of the class for my "QUILTING ERRORS". I did force myself to complete the course only because I never allowed my children to quit things they started. They always had to see it through to the end. Didn't want to be the hypocrite mom. I'm not sure if I will ever take another class. I just never left class excited to return.

Last edited by scrapnut; 05-17-2016 at 08:10 PM.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Valeriekat View Post
That may be true but is it worth the $$$$$$ and time?
The money is probably already spent so I guess you have to decide if it's worth the time
Old 05-17-2016, 08:15 PM

I agree with MKC. Life is to short to waste doing something you really don't enjoy.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:21 PM
Power Poster

So - did the original poster finish attending the classes? and what is her opinion about it now?
Old 05-17-2016, 08:23 PM

please elaborate, start with which class are you taking? and give details about what you dont like. everything is a learning experience, even for us who have been doing this awhile.
Old 05-18-2016, 07:53 AM

Get your money back...The instructer apparently is all about herself and her way or the highway..I would insist on a refund..!!! Where did this class take place?? I want to make sure I never go there!!!
Old 05-18-2016, 09:44 AM
Power Poster

When I first started quilting signed up for every quilt class I could go to. I learned more about quilting classes then quilting. LOL If the teacher caters to the unprepared student and the rest of the class sits and waits. I speak up! I didn't use to but it's my time and money and I got over being nice and losing out. If the teacher isn't giving her full attention to the class I ask for my money back after the first half of the class. I don't wait her out. If the teacher is rude I say something immediately in front of the whole class. I've learned how to be a good class member too. I never say there is a faster or another way to do something then what is taught. There is always one person in the class that does this and no one cares to hear it. I don't try to use a regular ruler when a specialty ruler is recommended. I come prepared and on time. I don't ask to borrow. I don't chew gum or wear perfume. I turn my phone to silent.