Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Not really sure what to do... >

Not really sure what to do...

Not really sure what to do...

Old 05-13-2014, 01:45 PM

Default Not really sure what to do...

So my mom's birthday is on Thursday, this is going to be late. LOL I'm not really sure how to finish this. Obviously I have to stitch appliqué down, but I was wondering should I straight stitch around the edges and then have the rest of it all over quilted? Or should I not secure the appliqué down and have it custom quilted and use the quilting to secure down?

Every time I've done appliqué it was very obvious that it was appliqué which was the purpose. But I somehow feel that with this piece that it is supposed to be not so obvious that it is appliqué.

Advice would be appreciated. Also I do notice the boo boo but it's too late to do anything now. :-(
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 05-13-2014, 02:06 PM

I can't offer any help, as I have never done applique, but those turtles are sure cute! ( I don't see your boo boo.... must not be obvious. )

Dina

Last edited by Dina; 05-13-2014 at 02:09 PM.
Old 05-13-2014, 02:36 PM

Not being an appliqué expert, it is hard to say, but it kind of looks like the appliqué should be stitched down with the quilting surrounding them. I agree with you when you say you feel the appliqué should not be so obvious, but I think if you hand stitch them with a delicate stitch, they would look much better than machine stitching them, or letting the quilting secure them. I love your turtles, and because they are so special and well done, I think they are worth a little extra work!

Edited to say: I have searched high and low for the boo boo and can't find it??
Old 05-13-2014, 02:48 PM

Can't see any boo boos here either! I would agree with the hand applque as well and then all over quilting for this piece. Very cute, btw.
Old 05-13-2014, 02:52 PM

Can't help with the applique question, but I can say it is adorable. Now are you going to tell us about the booboo?
Old 05-13-2014, 03:08 PM
Power Poster

​It might be a spot to use invisible thread to stitch down the appliqués before quilting.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:29 PM

Oh! Invisible thread!!! Thats a great idea! Think I should straight stitch with it or blanket stitch?

The boo boo is the top right turtle. The shell is TOTALLY off center. Grrrr
Old 05-13-2014, 03:52 PM
KLO

Originally Posted by LLWinston44 View Post
Oh! Invisible thread!!! Thats a great idea! Think I should straight stitch with it or blanket stitch?

That's what McKenna Ryan does with her fusible applique ..... straight stitch close to the edge with invisible thread. If you go to her website, she has helpful suggestions on how to do that. Then maybe do "bubbles" in the background to look like bubbly water? It is a great looking quilt (I also have that stacked in my "to do" pile) and you did a nice job on it.

PS: Do you think you could add a piece of that turtle fabric to the boo-boo to finish out the shell on the edge ... if you know what I mean? You could fuse it on to make it fit the design maybe? Still, it is a great quilt. I want to do one for our beach and ocean themed bathroom.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by LLWinston44 View Post

Your turtles are very cute and just think of him as unique because you are pretty much the only one that sees it. Also love the pinwheels/OBW on the right. I think the invisible thread is a great idea.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:06 PM
Power Poster

Isn't that the Herd of Turtles 2 fabric applique from Pacific Rim Quilt Company? It would normally be needle turned, but you could secure it some other way if you prefer. Did you fuse it?