Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Not sure if I have enough fabric >

Not sure if I have enough fabric

Not sure if I have enough fabric

Old 11-26-2015, 09:24 PM

Default Not sure if I have enough fabric

I'm fairly new to quilting, I've made two complete quilts so far, both just using squares. I decided to work on something slightly more challenge, and came up with an idea for a basic sampler quilt. Using http://www.quilterscache.com, I came up with a list of block patterns that fit the following criteria: (Beginner, 12inch, only full or half inch cuttings, no applique, using three or less colors, or could be easily adapted to three colors.)

Not knowing much about fabric requirements for quilting, or even what size I wanted the quilt to be before I started, I guessed at the amount of fabric I would need.

Now that I've started looking closer at different quilt patterns, and fabric requirements, I feel like I under-bought the fabric.

I got this fabric in the spring, at an inexpensive fabric store (2.99/yd for everything). I was there last week looking for fabric for another project, and they didn't have any batik fabric at all this time.

Looking at my options it looks like I could do one the three following:

1. Keep making blocks until I run out of fabric, and then make that the finished size of the quilt, and deal with it being that size

2. Get another set of colors, and make some blocks out of the other fabrics, as long as it matches, and make the blocks alternating between the two color sets

3. Make the sashing between the blocks bigger than originally planed (or use more than one sashing between blocks).

I'm leaning more towards either option one or three, but would love the opinions of more experienced quilt makers.
Old 11-26-2015, 10:35 PM

If you have selvages with the fabric information, you might find more of the fabrics online (maybe one of our members even has some). Otherwise, I would say it depends how short you actually are. The other option you didn't mention that many of us do to get to the desired size is to add borders. I have seen some really beautiful quilts with as many as 5 borders. You could also just get one more color (solid black, solid white or blenders in tan all look nice with batiks) to mix in as a neutral with all of your blocks to allow the batiks to go farther.

I'm sure it will be a beautiful quilt no matter which way you go.
Old 11-26-2015, 10:42 PM

You haven't mentioned borders and as Bree123 suggests but borders around to enlarge. Keep making the blocks as it will give you a good plan on getting more fabric for sashing and borders if necessary.

just enjoy.
Old 11-26-2015, 10:57 PM

Before I even read any other responses, I thought the same as Bree. One more fabric, a blender that goes with your batiks so they will go farther.
Old 11-27-2015, 05:41 AM
Power Poster

I am always running short on fabric. You didn't say how many fabrics or how large you are going to make this quilt. Are you going to make a sampler quilt??
Old 11-27-2015, 06:20 AM
Power Poster

Looks like everyone has most ideas covered. I would find coordinating and with sashings and borders. Depends on size you're after.
Old 11-27-2015, 07:45 AM
Power Poster

JoanPD, I like option #1...I tell people all the time that is how I make quilts.
Old 11-28-2015, 03:58 AM

I would make up all the blocks as in original plan then lay them out and decide what works best large sashing in between or alternate blocks as you mentioned in #2. By the time you finish making the blocks you will probably have more of a feel for what you need. I seem to become more creative as I go along and am always making changes anyway...there is no right or wrong just do what feels best to you.
Old 11-28-2015, 05:26 AM

Have you cut all your fabrics into blocks already? If not, I make a simple baby or lapquilt using 2 fabrics cutting 3 strips of each fabric - 6 inches wide by WOF. By alternating colors, sew strips together, press seams all one way, then fold in half lengthway, cut strips 6 inches wide. You should get 7 strips. Lay then out turning every other one opposite way to make a checkerboard effect. Sew strips together. add a 2 inch border all around or make a wider border if you want. You can also make this using your blocks if they are already cut out. By adding larger borders you can increase the size. also increase the width of your strips to make your blocks larger too. Just a suggestion.
Old 11-28-2015, 06:45 AM

Make the blocks, then take a couple with you to audition fabrics for sashing and/or borders. I do that pretty much all the time. Then a lot of times, after I complete the top, I go audition fabrics for the backing, if I had not decided that up front. Sometimes I start with the backing, then audition frabric for the front LOL. I don't have a "stash" and purchase fabric as I make each quilt.