Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Not sure what to do with this >

Not sure what to do with this

Not sure what to do with this

Old 04-06-2017, 03:33 AM

This is so pretty - I like the suggestions you've received about adding a border, a few more scrapy squares and then a final border. I would love to see what you decide to do when it's finished!
Old 04-06-2017, 05:46 AM

I love it, but I love the little bits LOL. Keep going!!
Old 04-06-2017, 06:40 AM
Suz

Actually, when I first looked at it, my immediate response was a big bright bold floral as the outside border with a narrow plain i/s border. I, too, like many of the other suggestions.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:02 AM

Borders won't solve the "dizzy" problem. It's makes me dizzy just looking at the picture!

I actually had something similar. Too bad it's gone and I can't send you a picture of it. My friend's 99-year-old mother hand sewed over 300 2" squares in something similar to what you've done. She said she was going to put a border around it. I asked her if she would give me license to make it a beautiful heirloom for her family for years to come. I also told her that I would be cutting it. She agreed.

You see your neutral squares? Here's had neutrals with a lot of different green foliage fabric. I created a medallion center, of sorts, breaking up all that checkerboard action. I then sashed all around the big block. I then used all the beautiful checkerboard as a pieced border, followed by a border made of the same fabric as the sashing around the center. It was stunning.

My advice to you is similar, but you have many options. You could cut it down the middle and put a sashing strip. You have 30 across, so that would leave 15 columns on either side. Cut 6, perhaps, (or what is visually pleasing to you) for each end, and sew another sashing strip. You'll now have three. The sashing would be neutral, of course, because you already have so much going on. THEN put on a border made from the same neutral fabric and, voila!

Oh, my dear! I have even more ideas, but I'm sure you live across the country. I'm in Michigan. If you'd like, you can contact me at [email protected], and we can talk. I can help you turn this "dizzy" quilt into a masterpiece!

Good luck!
Old 04-06-2017, 07:24 AM

I think it is a beautiful top. Lots of great ideas for borders.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:37 AM

My first thought was to appliqué a "line drawing" on it. I wish I had a picture, but it would end up looking like you had dipped a brush in black paint and drawn something rather simple like a heart, wintery tree, or silhouette of some sort.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:08 AM

I think it's beautiful! If it were mine, I would add a narrow stop border, then a checkered border.
Old 04-06-2017, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter View Post
all these border options sound great. You could also add a muslin 6 inch border and applique a meandering vine with leaves and flowers.
My idea would be an applique of some kind near the middle. It could be small or large, but would break up the "dizziness" of all those little squares. Then put on a border maybe with some applique in that, too.
Old 04-06-2017, 05:56 PM

There's not a thing wrong with that pretty quilt. Add a border and then sandwich and quilt to enjoy.
Old 04-07-2017, 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by javin22 View Post
thanks, these are great suggestions.
Of course you do realize now with all the suggestions, we are all waiting with baited breath to see what you ended up deciding to do, picture, please, lol. You have a lot to chose from. Lot of work and patience in what you have. Nice job.