Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Not sure where/who to ask - help with darning foot/bobbin? >

Not sure where/who to ask - help with darning foot/bobbin?

Not sure where/who to ask - help with darning foot/bobbin?

Old 03-06-2012, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Congratulations on your first top! Straight stitching will look fine. Check the batting package for how far apart the quilting lines can be to determine your pattern. I would start with a straight line of stitching from the top to the bottom in the center. I would then stitch outward from that line on both sides. If everything is still going well you will have it well anchored for further quilting. Good Luck!
This type is the easiest to do for new quilters, no stoping and starting so you don't have to tie off the beginning and ending threads and you don't have to drop the feed dogs but use your walking foot. I first make a little trial quilt, top fabric, batting and backing, and try my stitch length out to make sure it isn't pulling on top or bottom. My Pfaff's default stitch is 2.5 but for straight line quilting I usualy change the stitch length to 4. Good Luck, you baby will have a one of a kind quilt. May in Jersey

Last edited by May in Jersey; 03-06-2012 at 08:05 AM.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:42 PM
Eff

You ladies are awesome.

I took apart the machine yesterday, thoroughly cleaned out the lint in the bobbin case, changed the bobbin, rethreaded, reinstalled the darning foot and restarted.

This time, I held both threads for the first stitches and... ta-da! I had a few beginner issues and I'm sure my patterns are messy and uneven - but I successfully free-motioned a small quilt. Very proud - and thanks to everyone for the great advice!

The quilt is in the washer right now (hopefully it survives). I didn't know you could make your own bias tape so I used what I had bought at Joann's (double folded quilt bias tape) - but I'm less than impressed with the results. The next one will be made from yardage and sewn by hand.

I think I'm hooked!

Thanks again, everyone - now I'm gonna read through these boards and soak up the knowledge I should have had before I started...
Old 03-06-2012, 02:50 PM
Power Poster

I think your quilt is amazing! That it is your first try is even more so. You are on your way to being a wonderful quilter!!!
Old 03-06-2012, 02:57 PM
Banned

Cross Hatch it. Don't struggle with trying to free motion until you feel comfortable with the technique.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:05 PM

You did a wonderful job!! May the Force be with you in the weeks ahead-lol! Most problems (quilting and otherwise) can be addressed by wise folks on this board. Welcome from NE Wisconsin.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:09 PM

I agree with all of the above. You have done a great job for your first quilt, continue to work at it. I know that you will do great.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:18 PM

Your quilt is beautiful and the quilting looks great. It looks so good hanging on the baby's bed. Congrats on the baby and be sure to post a pic of the little one when you get a chance. I know how busy you will be soon.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:34 AM
KLO

I had to come back and see your quilt all finished. What a fabulous job you did on it. I am always amazed by how the actual quilting can make an wonderful quilt look even better. So glad you were able to get this problem worked out. And the nursery looks so cute!!! Don't forget to let us know when the baby is born ..... and maybe a photo or two also.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by audsgirl View Post
Did you remember to lower your presser foot? Sometimes little things like that are overlooked. Your quilt looks fantastic! Happy baby!
This is the thing that makes me feel most stupid! But, it's still easy to forget to put your pressure foot down with all the other things going on.