Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Nova Scotia Quilt Shops >

Nova Scotia Quilt Shops

Nova Scotia Quilt Shops

Old 01-18-2014, 09:36 AM

Default Nova Scotia Quilt Shops

Hi QB Friends,

My husband and I are in the process of planning our trip to Nova Scotia this May/June. Are there any quilt shops I shouldn't miss while there? We will be touring around the entire Island using the Highway 10. How about around Saint John's? We'll be spending a few days there along our way too and back. I must see the Bay of Fundy

Thank you all so much.

Kookie
Old 01-18-2014, 10:38 AM

So glad you posted this! I'll be watching for answers. Our son graduates this spring in Halifax and we'll be going up for graduation. I also enjoy the show Haven and am hoping to see some of the locations they use for shooting it.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:34 PM

In 2007 we visited a great one called the Harbour Quilt Company, but I see when I'm searching for them, it almost looks like the shop is closed out, you could have a look around their facebook page to see if there's any other mention of places.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harbo...76604559058712

This is a smaller shop (it was in 2007 anyway) but very friendly, up in Sydney http://www.quiltingonthemira.ca/
Old 01-18-2014, 02:04 PM

This is a great one just past Windsor called Avonport Discount Fabrics. Not very fancy looking from the outside but awesome inside. And don't let the word 'discount" put you off. They carry wonderful quality fabric and all the notions you can think of.
Here's the link http://www.avonportdiscountfabrics.com/
If you go to the contact us page there is driving directions. Well worth a visit. They also have a Facebook page.

Last edited by rosie99; 01-18-2014 at 02:06 PM.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:28 PM

Thank you rosie99. I googled quilt shops and fabric stores in Nova Scotia. There seems to be several, but I'm not sure which one's I should focus on. I'm glad I have one to begin my list
Old 01-18-2014, 02:31 PM

hi Lots2do,

Congrats to your son! I'll have to check out that show before we go. My grandmother was born and raised in Nova Scotia so I'm hoping to look up her birth records and see where she came from.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:49 PM

Nova Scotia is on my someday list. Found these:

http://www.fiddlestitches.com/

http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~ae862/ns_stores.html
Old 01-18-2014, 03:13 PM

Thanks, Kooklabell, I can't wait to visit the area. His Dad drove him up initially and I couldn't take time off from work to go. Since then, he's been flying back and forth.
Hope you have a great trip,
lots2do
Old 01-18-2014, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Kooklabell View Post
Hi QB Friends,

My husband and I are in the process of planning our trip to Nova Scotia this May/June. Are there any quilt shops I shouldn't miss while there? We will be touring around the entire Island using the Highway 10. How about around Saint John's? We'll be spending a few days there along our way too and back. I must see the Bay of Fundy

Thank you all so much.

Kookie
You are going to Nova Scotia and Saint John, New Brunswick(I'm presuming you are driving up) or St. John's Newfoundland as well? all of Nova Scotia or Just Cape Breton?

I lived on PEI for a decade and just moved back to NY 2 years ago. I miss the Maritimes.

If your Grandmother is old enough, Canadian Census records are available online, I believe they have to be 72 years, with the newer ones going up to 92 before becoming public records.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:07 PM

Hi mgmsrk,

Yes, we're driving our Roadtrek camper van. We're going to St. John's New Brunswick and we're doing the lower part of Nova Scotia. Using the bridge, we'll go down the Bay side to Yarmouth (I think it is) and then back up to Halifax and back across the bridge. Our original trip included PEI, but he omitted it this time. But one never knows. I can't wait to see all the harbor towns and of course check out the town my grandmother grew up in. She would be 120 years old today. LOL She passed in 1965. She was a strong, salty woman. I'm hoping to hear sayings and maybe just recognizing something that reminds me of her. We've been to Ireland several times. There I really connected to my mother's ways. My dad's family came from Scotland, but that was in the 1700's. We had scheduled a trip to Scotland last year as well as Nova Scotia, but my FIL was very ill and passed in June so we had to cancel all our plans. So, we try again this year to at least visit Nova Scotia.

Where in NY did you return to? We're not too far from West Point.