Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Novice Quilter trying to piece together stripes, please help >

Novice Quilter trying to piece together stripes, please help

Novice Quilter trying to piece together stripes, please help

Old 11-10-2009, 08:11 PM

This is the very reason I only use a wide striped fabric in sashing or borders. I get very frustrated with stripes---mostly because mine end up crooked and that makes me crazier than not matching up!!

The fact that you have all of your stripes going in the same direction in the same areas of your block make your stripes just fine. I would not sweat the fact that they do not line up exactly---like Prism said---it gives your block "life". And I agree with Madquilter---to fussy cut would be a waste of time and fabric.

I love your fabrics and your block---please show us more when you get more finished!!
Old 11-10-2009, 08:14 PM
Power Poster

I like your block and if you are happy with it .. keep going :lol: If anyone should be rude enough to question why the stripes don't match just say they are not suppose to match so that it adds more flow to the block :wink:
We all are out own worst critics , don't be so hard on yourself :lol:
Old 11-12-2009, 07:30 AM

I do a lot of charity quilting in addition to my own quilts and I use stripes a lot for doing the binding. When the stripes are cut on the 45 degree angle for bias binding, it really adds some definition to the quilt. I started out with that by doing placemats and went on from there. I am given fabric by my friends to use in the charity quilts and beggars can't be chosers so I find ways to make them work, even if it is just for binding.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:01 AM

I think your block is really nice. The stripes do not necessary have to line up. On the plus side, they are straight! They aren't wonky or crooked and it loks great. Lining those bad boys up would drive me to throwing everything out the window! Old quilts, like maybe our grandmothers made, didn't have matching stripes and I don't know of anyone that wouldn't love yours either. God luck!
Old 11-12-2009, 08:06 AM

I have to start with the fact that I have a bad case of ENVY going for your stash. It is gorgeous. Your block looks just fine and points are not easy for a whole bunch of us (me especially). I agree let the stripes be wavy. One way not to notice so much is dont put them next to each other then it wont be quiet as noticable. It really wasnt noticable until you mentioned it. As we work so closely with our projects we note all the errors but the general public at large notices the whole picture and not the tiny details. You made a very pretty star and I am looking forward to seeing what you create with all that fabric. If you get bored with it please feel free to send it my way!!
Old 11-12-2009, 09:19 AM

when you said you bought a lot, you weren't kidding :shock: .

that said, there is only one way to learn to do stripes and triangles the way you want them to be done. and you're on that learning curve now. so you'll make mistakes. big deal. when you finish, don't ask - don't tell. no one will ever know. it will be beautiful. :wink:
Old 11-12-2009, 10:03 AM

Don't sweat the small stuff...only you will notice the "mistakes" and after awhile you'll forget about them, too :lol: !
Old 11-12-2009, 10:54 AM

1) I LOVE your stash - colors and patterns are right up my alley.....

2) You are doing a GREAT job with piecing this together. Your block looks
fine. You do not want too much matchy matchy in quilts - the variety
provides movement and definition.

3) I would continue just as you are. I believe you will REALLY LIKE the end
result, and if you don't it can ALWAYS have a home here @ my house.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:00 AM

I love your block!! I'd keep making more, and add a sashing as someone suggested! Your going to have a beautiful quilt!!
Beautiful stash you got there too!!
:D
Old 11-12-2009, 12:10 PM

i think your block is really sweet, if you take another look and want to line up the stripes, you only need to swap two of the blocks around for them to line up, bottom left to bottom right, but if you get obsessed with this, you would have to follow this carefully over the whole quilt. i would be tempted to go with it as it is. Good luck. feeling envious that you have that much matching fabric. would love to see pics when you have finished.