Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Now I've done it. Threads too short >

Now I've done it. Threads too short

Now I've done it. Threads too short

Old 11-04-2014, 08:21 AM

Unhappy Now I've done it. Threads too short

I am DM quilting a baby quilt. When I went to hand bury the threads I discovered I cut a few of them too short to thread the needle. Yikes!
I am thinking I could use a perm type glue to make sure they dont come out. Is there such a product? It would have to be perm. washable, and dry clear. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated....

Cindy in Tn (who is feeling pretty dumb right now)
Old 11-04-2014, 08:31 AM
Power Poster

I have done that. What I did was get the needle as close as possible to where I want to bury it. I go ahead and stick the needle in about 1/2 way. I use a needle threader to pull the thread through the eye then pull the needle the rest of the way through the fabric. I use the tiniest drop of fabric glue to seal the hole.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:32 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
I have done that. What I did was get the needle as close as possible to where I want to bury it. I go ahead and stick the needle in about 1/2 way. I use a needle threader to pull the thread through the eye then pull the needle the rest of the way through the fabric. I use the tiniest drop of fabric glue to seal the hole.
This works especially well when the thread is much shorter than the needle. Meant to say was get a needle for hand sewing.

Last edited by tessagin; 11-04-2014 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Meant to say use a hand needle
Old 11-04-2014, 08:32 AM

Do you have any of the needles where you just pop the thread into the eye from the top, rather than threading it the conventional way? With one of those and some tweezers, I can thread and bury thread as short as a half-inch long. Put the needle most of the way into the fabric, pop that little thread tail in (grab it with the tweezers) and pull the needle the rest of the way through. Taa-daa! Thread tail gone.

Not sure what you could put on there to keep it from working its way back out, though. Not sure how likely that is, if you bury it close to the original knot. Maybe a dot of fray check?
Old 11-04-2014, 08:37 AM

I like Tessagin's answer best, it's what I would do. However, if you decide to go the Fray Check route, make sure you get the soft flexible kind. I believe Fray Check dries hard, but there's another Fray product that dries soft, I can't remember what it's called. Someone else will be along soon to tell us what it's called!
Old 11-04-2014, 09:07 AM
Power Poster

If it isn't too many places. I would use a straight pin in to unsew about 2inches back, tie and bury the ends, re-insert my quilt in the machine and re-quilt the 2 inches and knot and bury again.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:16 AM

Peckish, you might be thinking of Fray Block. Here's a link to a discussion of Fray Check vs Fray Block on Stitcher's Guild website.

http://artisanssquare.com/sg/index.php?topic=5412.0
Old 11-04-2014, 09:31 AM

I do what Tessagin suggested. Just finished pulling in threads on a baby quilt and had to do that a couple of times.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:39 AM

Do you use the needles (Fons and Porter) that have an opening in the top and you just put the thread in the top - I have threaded 1 inch pieces of thread. They are wonderful when you have bits of thread to try and get in a needle. Here is a link:
http://www.amazon.com/Fons-Porter-Th.../dp/B000J3X5YG
Old 11-04-2014, 09:49 AM
Power Poster

There's a newer "brush on" version of Fray Block that probably makes it easier to apply than the older tube version:
http://www.amazon.com/June-Tailor-JT...dp/B00D4VM4OC/

(Fray Block is the soft version of Fray Check.)