Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
NOW WHAT ???????????? >

NOW WHAT ????????????

NOW WHAT ????????????

Old 07-02-2011, 07:13 PM

I am putting together Miss Rosie's pattern 'Sweet Tea'.
The blocks are all done. Yesterday I started putting the rows together. Half of the quilt is put together. I have used all batiks and it is going to so beautiful.

So here's the problem. I was carefully ironing after attaching each row, (but being a bit lazy) I sprayed the strip with a mist because I did not feel like adding water to the iron. It was late and I wanted to just add one more row and finish it in the morning.

One blue started bleeding!!!!!!! Crud! NOW WHAT???

Two weeks ago there was the long discussion on Retayne and fabric bleeding etc...
I always wash my fabrics. I have had fabric bleed only once before & YES the red batik turned the red & white quilt to pink & white quilt.

So what do I do now??
1) Find an replace all that blue with a new square.
2) Do I soak everything in Retayne bath now partially completed?
3) Do I sew it all together and then use the Retayne before it is quilted.
Or do you have a better idea?

SO far I am think of just replacing all of the color.
It would be a lot of work but I love this quilt so far-- Turning it into something else is just out of the question.

Thanks for all your suggestions. Anyone wanna come over and help me??? LOL

Bleeding batik 1
[ATTACH=CONFIG]220083[/ATTACH]

Bleeding batik 2
[ATTACH=CONFIG]220084[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-220077.jpe   attachment-220078.jpe  
Old 07-02-2011, 07:16 PM

I would start by jumping up and down saying ugly word, ugly word, ugly word. :shock:

I think you are going to have to redo that section.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:22 PM

I wonder what would happen if you put it in the washer with a bunch of color catchers. You're still going to have to get it off of the white one way or the other; whether you keep it in the quilt or not. I would be reluctant to just remove the blue and continue to let it sit there on that white. You say you already pre-washed it?

That's the major thing I don't like about Batiks. I will wash them over and over until the water is clear. Sometimes I end up with faded fabric. But It's not too much to avoid that bleeding. Aren't you glad it happened to you instead of the recipient?
Old 07-02-2011, 07:32 PM

one reason i don't like batiks.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:33 PM

I know how you are feeling. Fabric companies should be required to post a warning on all fabrics that bleed to prevent situations like you have. Or, we should all stop buying these brands of fabric. I now wash all of my fabrics
before using them along with a piece of white fabric so I will know before using that it will bleed. I have also stopped using frabic brands that bleed. I hope someone has a solution to fix your quilt without your having to take it apart.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:34 PM
Power Poster

Could you tell me the manufacture? Most of my batiks is Hoffman and I have never had a problem. I agree with putting it in the washer on cold with color catchers. Yuck! So sorry!
Old 07-02-2011, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by M.I.Late
I wonder what would happen if you put it in the washer with a bunch of color catchers. You're still going to have to get it off of the white one way or the other; whether you keep it in the quilt or not. I would be reluctant to just remove the blue and continue to let it sit there on that white. You say you already pre-washed it?

That's the major thing I don't like about Batiks. I will wash them over and over until the water is clear. Sometimes I end up with faded fabric. But It's not too much to avoid that bleeding. Aren't you glad it happened to you instead of the recipient?
That's exactly what I was thinking. Put some baking soda on the white with a toothbrush, use a bunch of color catchers and maybe add
Old 07-02-2011, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by FQ Stash Queen
Originally Posted by M.I.Late

That's exactly what I was thinking. Put some baking soda on the white with a toothbrush, use a bunch of color catchers and maybe add some type of power booster like oxiclean.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:48 PM
Power Poster

Retayne is for "setting" the dye in fabric before you put it in your quilt. After it is in the quilt, you use Syntrapol sp? to keep the dye from depositing on other fabric. In your case, I think I would remove the bleeder. It looks like it will continue to spread if you don't. Good Luck.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:51 PM
Power Poster

Do most red batiks bleed if not prewashed?