Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Now What? >

Now What?

Now What?

Old 09-18-2015, 08:37 AM

Default Now What?

I'm in a bit of a funk, and I don't know what to make next. I'm almost done with a baby quilt for my nephew and a table runner/placemat set for my mom. In the last 6 months, I've made 3 quilts to give to family members/friends, and then the other two mentioned above. I want to make something for myself, but I'm at a loss what to do. I've decided not to take on anymore give-away projects until I have a new quilt for my own bed, but now I can't decide what to do. I'm inspired by so many different options, but just can't pick one.

Help!
Old 09-18-2015, 08:40 AM
Power Poster

What is your favorite color?

What goes well with it?

Do you have any fabrics in those colors? (My guess would be - at least one or two)

Start playing with these fabrics and see if anything comes to mind.

If the walls in your room are not your favorite color - ignore them for now - make the quilt in colors you love.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:58 AM

Well, I know I want the main colors to be aqua and grey/white, but beyond that, I'm just at a loss.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:05 AM

Go out and buy more fabric! That's what I do. I go to the quilt store and I see a fabric I love and instantly get inspired to make a quilt with it.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:05 AM

Search Google images or Pinterest for ideas!

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...22.7om6YT9JbWA

https://www.pinterest.com/search/pin...uilt&term_meta[]=aqua|typed&term_meta[]=gray|typed&term_meta[]=quilt|typed

edit: sorry link is hosed...not sure why. but you could copy and paste to the address bar.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:07 AM
Power Poster

There are some simple but eye catching patterns in a book I just read titled, Cabin Fever. I have 3 of them on my reserve list....Barn Cabins,Typhoon and Dilation. The book has great instructions with all the fabric requirements in several sizes as well as pillow patterns.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:29 AM

It's never too late to get on the Mystery Train! We are working on a three color project that can be sized from table runner to full quilt! Just get your colors and let the mystery be your design!

Here's the link: http://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-...y-t269356.html
Old 09-18-2015, 09:53 AM

Pennyhal, I wish I could buy more! That's part of the problem, I have so much that I love I get a little lost when I go stash diving.

Katie, that gave me some great ideas, and some sample blocks to try for sure!

Tartan, I'll have to check out that book.

Sue, the mystery quilt sounds fun, but I need to know how it's going to turn out before I commit my time and favorite fabrics to making something.

I've thought of a sampler, but then I can never decide which blocks to include!
Old 09-18-2015, 10:04 AM
Power Poster

If you decide on a sampler - you could get some continuity in the blocks by

- using the same colors and color placement in all of them (use the same color for the outside of each block, for example)

- use the same grid for all the blocks - there is a lot of variety in a 3 x 3 (9-patch) grid

- Use the same "type" of blocks - all pointy like stars - or all bars - or all curved like drunkards' path units

Or you could have several block styles but duplicate several of them so there is some symmetry in the placement -

You could have the same blocks in each corner, for example - if you went with sashing between the blocks, you could have "blank" squares for fancy quilting -

(My personal preference for "sampler" quilts is to have the blocks look like they are closely related - color - style - scale. Other people like "whatever" in their sampler quilts.)

Last edited by bearisgray; 09-18-2015 at 10:07 AM.
Old 09-18-2015, 10:13 AM
Power Poster

Between the photos here and Google, they keep me inspired. Here are some quilts made with aqua/grey and white:
https://www.google.com/search?q=aqua...w=1013&bih=612

I think the Chevron looks stunning. There is also a square in a square which won't take much fabric using lots of scraps:
http://susanweinroth.typepad.com/a_l...f_me/quilting/