Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
nylon / plastic thread >

nylon / plastic thread

nylon / plastic thread

Old 10-27-2010, 08:19 AM

I bought some quilting thread at Joann's, just tried to use it last night. What a mess! The bobbin won't wind, the thread is impossible to see, and I simply just don't like it. Any suggestions on how best to make this product behave and perform to its utmost possibilities? I have 2 spools of 1500 yards each and would hate to waste it...
Old 10-27-2010, 08:31 AM

First, never use it in the bobbin. It rarely ever work. In order to use it on the top, I find that adding tension points along the path makes it behave better. By this I mean, Instead of just following the regular thread path on the machine, as soon as it comes out of the spool add another point. I put an older machine behind mine. I go from the spool wrap around the spool holder of the second machine, then back to my machine, and follow the regular thread. This extra tension point makes it behave better. Also, avoid sewing fast and stopping suddenly. The spool continues to unravel if you stop too fast and then it gets tangled on the spool holder. If you don't notice and continue to sew the thread will stretch and it will sew for a while before you realize it and when you stop it tries to shrink back again. Is not pretty. Don't ask me how I know. Sew slowly but steady. Give yourself practice time to learn to use it.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:34 AM

Great advice Maria, thank you very much!
Old 10-27-2010, 05:56 PM

I had the same problem until I used it with a "thread bed". It is essentially a small plastic box you place your thread in, and place it next to your machine, then thread your machine as usual using the thread that comes through the top of the box then up through your fist thread guide. It seems to keep the tension just right and because it is encased in the box, it doesn't unravel when you stop sewing. I never use it in the bobbin, but using the thread bed has eliminated the problems for me. Hope this helps.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:53 AM
Power Poster

use a good quality sewing thread in your bobbin and all above ...also, you really have to slow down! the thread stretches and breaks if you are sewing fast...you have to slow way down in order to get anywhere. personally I HATE USING INVISIBLE THREAD! it is expensive a pain to work with, melts if you hit it with an iron...after a few years of quilt washings it starts breaking, then you get those lovely picky points ... like that tag in your favorite t-shirt that pokes the back of your neck and drives you nuts till you remove it.
i know there are people who use it all the time, love it and have no problems...i really admire them...for me...not so good...
Old 10-28-2010, 04:22 AM

No matter what technique you use, it is also important to somehow cover the little slit that holds the loose end of the thread when you first buy it. I find that sometimes the thread gets caught on it and the stetching begins again.