Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Nylon Quilts

I just received a copy of Quilt World, July-August 1976. In reading the mag...I found references to nylon quilts. One person was asking for nylons to complete a quilt. Does anyone know what is a "Nylon Quilt" and what did these look like? On page 37, a quilter writes "The picture shows me with my first nylon stocking quilt to my right and above, then two baby quilts. ..." I can't tell what the quilts are. Sounds interesting.....and did these quilts last through the years of use?

Blog Entries
    Were they quilts that had nylons as the batting?

Blog Entries
    interesting

Quote Originally Posted by RoxanneS
    I just received a copy of Quilt World, July-August 1976. In reading the mag...I found references to nylon quilts. One person was asking for nylons to complete a quilt. Does anyone know what is a "Nylon Quilt" and what did these look like? On page 37, a quilter writes "The picture shows me with my first nylon stocking quilt to my right and above, then two baby quilts. ..." I can't tell what the quilts are. Sounds interesting.....and did these quilts last through the years of use?

Power Poster
    I think they were sort of a "puff" of "biscuit" type quilt with the nylons used for the puffing/stuffing.

Several items came up when I googled "puff quilt directions nylons"

or "biscuit quilt directions nylons"

They look like they would be tedious to make.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    I think they were sort of a "puff" of "biscuit" type quilt with the nylons used for the puffing/stuffing.

Several items came up when I googled "puff quilt directions nylons"

or "biscuit quilt directions nylons"

They look like they would be tedious to make.
    These are the same references that I have come across too. Using nylons to stuff some areas, or to use as the batting. :D:D:D

What a unique concept.

Now that's a novel thing to do. I have a huge drawer full of "nylon pantyhose". Which I can no longer wear because they come with two legs, and I only have one...LOL..so I buy knee highs and make sure any skirts, which I rarely wear, are long. I hated to just throw them away, but I sure would like to use that drawer for something else. Sometimes I find good out of only having one leg. And I do joke about it all the time....not much else you can do.

Katie..have you tried the "thigh high" stockings? I really like those, they go up to the thigh, so nothing hangs out under a skirt, slacks, etc.........and they stay up, too.........I got mine at the Hanes outlet store....

years ago my great-aunt used nylons and or pantyhose for her batting :)

Referring to thr thigh hi stockings...have tried those(about 10 yrs ago) and lo and behold....they can start sliding down ....maybe my skinny legs couldn't keep them up? Not that they're skinny now! LOL