Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Obsession >

Obsession

Obsession

Old 04-26-2011, 01:27 PM

Sounds like we have the same problem. I get excited to see the final product and can't stop!

Originally Posted by PJisChaos
I totally get what ya are saying, I do the same thing! Just yesterday, I started an uneven log cabin at 3pm(cutting strips and center squares) and got as far as 1 complete round on all 100 blocks by 5am. Then realized I had missed dinner and everyone else was in bed. LoL! I was so excited to see what they would look like I just couldn't stop myself. So, took a nice break today and haven't sewn or cut a thing.

whoops! here I am doing it again, this was sunday afternoon into monday morn as it is already tuesday. gah!
Old 04-26-2011, 01:29 PM

This is great advice. I recently re-learned how to use the old sewing machine and I'm LOVING the speed. I have a wonky star pattern I'm working on now. Can't say that the obsession has gone away though -- now I'm just obsessed with two -- the hand-pieced and the machine!

Originally Posted by roselady
The suggestion I have for you may be totally wrong because I am so not like you. I love the process and for the most part don't even think about the end product, I just love doing it. Because of that I also don't finish a lot, that is the issue I struggle with. Here is something that might help... What about having a "fast" project going along with your "slow" project. Have a machine made project that you work on when you can be at your machine, and do the hand work in the evening when you want to be around your family. That way, you will finish something quickly so that you get that feeling of completing something. It might make you enjoy the slow pace of the handwork more. You might finish 3 or 4 quick projects in the time that it takes to finish your "heirloom" quilt. I know that you might think "If am working on 2 quilts, then it will take me even longer to get it done". Yes it will, but, if you enjoy it more along the way, because you can see that the "quick" project will be done soon...well it is just a thought! I usually have a machine pieced project, a hand applique and some hand quilting, all going at the same time...who knows what I might feel like doing at any given time?! BTW, your quilt is wonderful, you must finish it, I do hope you will learn to enjoy every little stitch that you make.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:57 PM

I like to have more than one thing going at a time because I might want to sew on the bed while watching TV, or I might want something I can take in the car, OR I might want to use my machine..... I agree that you have MUCH more self discipline than I do, but hey, maybe you could let yourself do whatever feels good!
Old 04-26-2011, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by dhanke
I understand what you mean about being obsessed with reaching the finish line. I've always been the same way, but recently I've been forcing myself to slow down, relax, and enjoy what I'm doing in the moment. I have a tendency to always be thinking ahead and I feel that it's taking away the pleasure of now. It seems to be working, but it's something that I have to make a conscious effort to do.
Your hand pieced project is beautiful, try to relax and enjoy the process.
I totally agree, it is the process!
Old 04-26-2011, 02:35 PM

If it helps any, it's gonna be gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-26-2011, 03:42 PM

Your work is beautiful and looks very complicated. Since it's a hand piecing project, why don't you work on this when you are on a trip, sitting in a waiting room at a doctor's office, or at a meeting where you can listen and work at the same time? You might be amazed at how much you get done, and don't even realize it! In the meantime, you could start a new project at home, something simple, small and easy that keeps your heart pumping.
I have learned that if you are getting frustrated or tired of it, walk away until the next time. Otherwise it takes the joy out of it, and quilting is supposed to be relaxing.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:04 PM

It is looking like it will turn out beautifully. Put it aside for awhile and go back to it later. It once took me 9 years to finish a quilt. But boy was I ever proud when I finished it!
Old 04-26-2011, 04:33 PM

Oh My Gosh...you deserve a medal for what is already done.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:59 PM

Hand-piecing is not hard -- just takes longer! The only real difference in the sewing is that you don't sew into the seam allowance. I am newer to the machine but I find hand piecing to be much more forgiving -- maybe it's just harder to make mistakes because it's so darn slow!!!

Originally Posted by sharkee
Absolutely gorgeous. Love the colors and the pattern. I admire you for taking on such a large project that is all hand pieced. I just finished hand quilting my second log cabin and have been wanting to learn to hand piece and after looking at your project I really want to learn how. Can't wait to see the finished quilt, but I agree with some of the others maybe take a break and do something quick and easy
Old 04-26-2011, 06:13 PM

It is going to be beautiful. I can't wait to see it finished. I don't mean to rush ya, just take your time. Enjoy it.