Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: OBW fabric disaster!!

I got the OBW book for Christmas, and read it through several times so that I would get the concept down. I decided to start with a fabric that I already had to make sure I knew what I was doing. But it had a 25 1/4" repeat. Odd. As I couldn't remember where or when I got this fabric, I decided to pre-wash it first (The author doesn't like doing that, but I felt it should be done). Wash, dry, starch, iron. Measure again. Now it has a 24" repeat. After cutting my 24" strips, I realize that the grain is off, like really bad! Now I've lost about 4" on each end of each strip, and I'm really upset. Has anyone had this problem? You are all so wise, please help!!

Washing is really bad for OBW!! I've only done a couple, but I'd rather it shrink after construction than throw that grain off!! Just practice on this one.

You shouldn't wash the fabric for any of this type block, OBW, four patch posie, or stack and whack. If it's a stacked repeat block it needs the stability of the original finish to work.

Sometimes....as hard as it seems to do.....you just HAVE to follow the directions in the pattern. I agree, practice with what you have...measureing, cutting and sewing...the blocks will be ''off'' but should still look OK and you will have had the learning experience...who knows how it will look!!

jodi in leavenworth

Blog Entries
    I know I'm ignorant but what is OBW

Blog Entries
    Send Cutebuns a PM and see if she can give you any help - she did a tute during the summer : http://www.quiltingboard.com/user_pr...p?usernum=1647

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by feffertim
    I know I'm ignorant but what is OBW
    One Block Wonder

Blog Entries
    OBW = one block wonder. It's a kalediscope type of quilt - very pretty! Also called a hexagon quilt. Cutebuns did a tutorial on it here that was very easy to follow.

I had no idea you shouldn't wash fabric that would be used for an OBW, that's my "learn something new every day" thing for today! :lol:

Thanks for all your advice. NO MORE pre-washing for this kind of block! I knew I'd feel better after posting this!

Blog Entries
    Sorry you had to learn this way... :(

Most all fabrics will get stretched slightly off grain when washed and dryed, especially during the ironing/pressing process to get the wrinkles out.

When making a OBW/S&W type quilts, the slightest grain variation in the fabric will throw the fabrics designs off. These are what you line up in these techniques, and they need to be spot on :D:D:D

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast