Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: OBW fabric

I am going to do my first OBW and I need some guidance. I see all the beautiful ones you guys do here. I am going to take a class.

Would I be better off with something like a Michael Miller large traditional floral or like a Kaffe Fasset large wild paisley?

TIA
    Cindy

what is OBW??

OBW= One Block Wonder. I have made several SNW and OBW quilts and I am always amazed at what I get. Large florals do work up nice. You want to look for fabric with a repeat of AT LEAST 6.5 inches. I look for fabrics that are about 75% print 25% background. The florals always work but your block centers will still look like floral. More geometric designs really pop. If you are doing the OBW, I always buy enough of the focus fabric to use for backing. When I show people the original fabric they are blown away.

One Block Wonder.

Thank you. I think I will try the floral for the first one as it has the 75/25 rule.

I have 3 pieces of fabric I want to either make the OBW or stack and whack. I just don't know when though.

if in doubt, use the mirrors (2 small mirrors side by side, taped on back so you can hold them standing on the fabric to give you a 3-D view of the design. You can move it around to check different spots. You don't have to try all of the areas, but if you see a few you like, then the fabric will be good. You can do this right at the LQS, and esp before you cut fabric.

I was going to order a mirror like that and than realized I could make one much cheaper.

Blog Entries
    please explain the one block wonder. Is there a pattern for it? sounds very interesting, thanks, peterparley

Quote Originally Posted by peterparley
    please explain the one block wonder. Is there a pattern for it? sounds very interesting, thanks, peterparley
    Cutebuns did a great tutorial on it. No pattern needed. Here's the discussion of fabric choices:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-35100-1.htm

Getting started:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-35100-1.htm

There are several threads related to this tutorial. They all start with "Tip Toe through the hexagons Cutie style....."