Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
OBW repeat? >

OBW repeat?

OBW repeat?

Old 06-12-2014, 02:47 PM

Default OBW repeat?

What does the repeat in the fabric need to be for the OBW?

Would any of these fabrics work?

https://www.fabric.com/buy/0313628/b...ls-scenic-wild

http://www.joann.com/legacy-studio-f....html#start=41

http://www.joann.com/legacy-studio-c...4&prefv1=false

http://www.joann.com/quilt-cotton--m...4&prefv1=false

http://www.joann.com/jo-ann-stores-n...4&prefv1=false

http://www.joann.com/keepsake-calico...4&prefv1=false
Old 06-12-2014, 02:53 PM

Not having made one, but being a lover of the OBW, I have always seen fabric used that had a lot of contrast. Seems to me the second and maybe the last would be good for that method. Hope to see if someone else answers so we can have more opinions from someone who has done this.
Old 06-12-2014, 03:28 PM
Power Poster

here is a quiltingboard.com tutorial on OBW that has a pdf attachment http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...ns-t92503.html
Old 06-12-2014, 03:30 PM
Power Poster

You can use any size repeat, but really small ones won't give you much variety in the blocks.
I think #1 would make a really interesting OBW.
I have #2 and have been saving it for a OBW or S&W.
#3 - not a lot of contrast, but there are some beautiful colors, I would be tempted to try it.
#4 is not very good for a OBW because of the straight lines.
#5 is similar to one I did with fabric that had dogs on it. It's interesting because you can look at the OBW and see little tongues or snouts or eyes... Not a lot of contrast, but I still like it.
#6 - I wouldn't use it because there's so little contrast.
Old 06-12-2014, 03:47 PM

A repeat of 24" is often mentioned - you can certainly make an OBW with smaller repeat, but you may get a smaller quilt. For example, if you have a 24" repeat, you can cut up to 6 x 4" strips to get your blocks. If your repeat is 18", you may only get 4 x 4" strips.

The big repeat gives lots of variety to the designs. I've been in classes where people had the same fabric, and even little differences in where the repeat is selected or the triangles are cut, makes completely different quilts.

Of the fabrics you have listed, my top pick would be the last one (Keepsake Calico Fabric- Floral Vine) - to my eye, the dark background makes the rest of the designs really pop. My next choice would be the (Legacy Studio Cotton Fabric-Hampton Court Fancy Leaf Green) - the paisleys and feathery leaves will give some really nice effects, or the (Tigris Master Floral) - I really like the clean lines and crisp colours - they would work up really nicely!

I've tended to steer clear of animal prints (altho I've seen some fabulous ones finished) just because cutting up the eyes bothers me. The fabric with the 'mountain lodge patch' - it would be very interesting to see what happens to the patches but I think I'd be disappointed.

Have you seen the folding mirror sets that can help you visualize what the repeats will look like? Can't use them for online shopping (hmmm - maybe you could if you printed out the swatch?) - Joanne's has these here: http://www.joann.com/folding-magic-m...n/1076447.html.

I think it's hard to go wrong with OBW's - they have some sort of magic! In Maxine Rosenthal's OBW books, she has good tips for selecting OBW candidates, including having good contrast. If you don't have her book(s), your local quilting guild or library may have them. I'd really recommend finding a copy of one of her books - she really does a terrific job showing how to select, pin and cut the fabric effectively.

Good luck and have fun!

Last edited by LindaM; 06-12-2014 at 04:04 PM.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:07 PM
Power Poster

The folding mirror is very helpful to help get an idea of how a fabric will look in a kaleidoscope type of quilt.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:25 PM

S & W are my favorites to do. Each makes such neat blocks. The ones I have done and have cut out (5) and have fabric for more use 24 inch repeats and I prefer octagons and that repeat works well. I have seen animals made up and it is amazing how they turn out. I am a bit of the notion that parts bother me sometimes, but not so much to keep me from trying as I would choose or pick the place to cut the wedges so I got a neat look. My absolute favorite would be the last and I would go for that in a nano second. I made one using very similar fabrics and really, really like it. It won several ribbons in one show that I entered it and you can refer to it under Peacock Stack and Whack Finished (or at least that is how I remember it). I have seen stripes and straight lines made into S&W but they weren't quite like that #4 so not sure how that would work. I saw one made into LeMoyne Stars that had a low contrast like #3 and it was jaw-dropping. So soft and beautiful. Good luck. They say you can take the ugliest fabric and make a beautiful S&W. When you START with beautiful fabric, think how well they will turn out!
Old 06-14-2014, 05:52 AM

Thought about this when I got up. You said OBW and I just automatically thought about the settings I have used. Never put the S&W into a OBW. But if that is the way you are going, then the last one would probably could have large black spaces if you didn't position the wedges to compensate. My eyes seem to prefer resting places and so I have used star settings, DP settings, etc., all using S&W method but not the OBW method. #3 would make a pretty transitioning colored quilt, I think, for an OBW. Good luck.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:47 AM

I found a YouTube video and read cutebuns tutorial. Decided to play around with a piece of fabric that I've had for ten years. Figured if I screwed up, it wouldn't hurt as bad. I had just over a yard I believe. Not sure if i cut my fabric right but i found my repeats and cut them all to size. They were about the size of a large placement but I was able to get six repeats. I cut strips 2" and used the 60* Mark on a ruler I already had.

I was able to get 5 strips. Each strip makes 13 hexagons. I got one smaller strip and will used those in a border. Will make a wall hanging or small quilt. (Hopefully!)

Original fabric

Old 06-14-2014, 08:55 AM

A few of the blocks.