Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Odd looking Scissors >

Odd looking Scissors

Odd looking Scissors

Old 02-16-2011, 02:38 AM

Today I was at my sewing group and one of the ladies there showed me a pair of scissors she had. I will try to describe them. She said they are for grabbing a thread so you can rip it out.
Anyways the have really short blades, maybe 2 inches or so and on one of the blades, there is a half oval gouge out of it and it has a little point which you would put in between threads and then move it to the little gouge to rip out a thread. Im sure that what I just wrote doesn't make any sense but if you have ever seen them you would know what I am talking about. So if you know where I can get some I would appreciate it or even if you know the name of them that would be great. This lady hadn't a clue what they were called, but she had gotten them out of some sewing stuff she had gotten at a yard sale a couple of years ago. :) They were so cool. lol
Old 02-16-2011, 03:51 AM

Sounds like suture scissors. They have a half-circle near the tip of one blade. You use the tip to slide the blade under the stitch and the bowl holds the stitch while you cut it. They are nice to have. I have several pairs. The best place to find them is to ask at your doctor's office. They come in the suture removal kits. With the health standards now, they are thrown away after the one use. When I get them home, I just soak the ends in rubbing alcohol or drop the entire pair in boiling water.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-128633.jpe  
Old 02-16-2011, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by jrhboxers
Sounds like suture scissors. They have a half-circle near the tip of one blade. You use the tip to slide the blade under the stitch and the bowl holds the stitch while you cut it. They are nice to have. I have several pairs. The best place to find them is to ask at your doctor's office. They come in the suture removal kits. With the health standards now, they are thrown away after the one use. When I get them home, I just soak the ends in rubbing alcohol or drop the entire pair in boiling water.
Yes, my dentist that I used to work for had them. But their health standards are so strict, he said I couldn't have a pair without him having to detail it with OSHA. You might be able to get a pair though a health supply store.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:36 AM

Some of the newer spring-action scissors/nippers have that notch, too. I use them for my machine embroidery.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:39 AM
Power Poster

my hubby bought me a pair for christmas in my stocking...he bought them at the lqs...they were new, just arrived. i still have the package at home i will look and see what exactly they are called when i get home and come back to let you know. i have a second (old pair) that does not have the little half-moon cut out that i have been using for years but the ladies at the shop told him i needed that new pair :)
they certainly have their place...i like them. they have not (replaced) the old pair but they are handy in other ways.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:44 AM

I've had these for years.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-131516.jpe  
Old 02-16-2011, 09:21 AM

Just did a search for quilting scissors and here is one site I found, I have never ordered from them, just found the scissors:

http://www.famorecutlery.com/product...1d89e15faed499

I love this type without the notch... I have a ribbon through the opening and an alligator clip on the other end of the ribbon which is then clamped to my foot pedal cord to my machine. I always have a pair of scissors handy at my machine to snip threads....
Old 02-16-2011, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Connie in CO
I've had these for years.
If this is the appearance, they are sold for carefully cutting out misplaced cross stitch stitches. I don't know if this is the original purpose for which a manufacturer produced them.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:58 PM

If you get to flea markets there are usually people who sell scissors and knives. I've seen the suture scissors and other surgical instruments for sale there.

Pat
Old 02-16-2011, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by jrhboxers
That is EXACTLY what they look like. Thanks so much.