Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Odd presser foot gets new use

Odd presser foot gets new use

I have NO idea what this presser foot is for, it came with the machine. The lead of the foot is only 1/2 the width of the foot and there is an edge guide on the right edge (as I'm looking at it). The area to the right of the edge guide is open. The needle area of the foot is wide open with the exception of three wires that run the length of the foot.

I'm working on a pattern that requires a 1/8" seam allowance (grrr) and I'm the kind of sewer that prefers to have an edge guide on my foot. I couldn't use my 1/4" edge guide foot because I can't get the needle position far enough to the right to get an accurate 1/8" seam allowance (measured after pressing). So I rummaged around in my sewing box to find a foot that had something on it that I could use as a measurement (even the edge of the foot works for me although I prefer a "guide").

I found this foot ... whatever it is, and by moving the needle to the left I was able to get my scant 1/8" and avoid the wire. I haven't measured it yet but I could probably also use this foot for 1/4" if I move the needle position further to the left and put in the little groove on the left side of the foot.

I LOVE this foot!!! Not only does it have the guide which I love, but the open center allows me to SEE my fabric at the point of needle insertion and I just can't go wrong with it!

Weird foot ... new purpose.

Anyone have any idea what this foot is REALLY used for??
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

. Have know idea what it is but if it works , good for you. I can not keep the 1/4 or 1/8 in where it is straight. Goodjluck. joyce l

What kind of machine?
    That is a really really odd looking foot!
    SueSew
    "If it's messy, eat it over the sink!" Mom

Hi on my Janome 6600P it is the overcasting foot.

I'm not sure, but I think it's also called a fuller foot - you use it for overcasting raw edges with a zig-zag stitch, so that it leaves the edge of the fabric flat, like a serger would do. It won't let the thread pull tight and crinkle the raw edge.

But you can also use it for fulling your satin stitch - it holds the thread up off of the surface of the fabric until several stitches have been secured. It keeps the satin stitch from tunneling and pulling tight and leaves it pretty and smooth on top.

Quote Originally Posted by NannaL View Post
    Hi on my Janome 6600P it is the overcasting foot.
    It looks like my overcasting foot too.

Pat

is it a smocking foot????
    Pegg

Have a great day and happy sewing !

Quote Originally Posted by thepolyparrot View Post
    I'm not sure, but I think it's also called a fuller foot - you use it for overcasting raw edges with a zig-zag stitch, so that it leaves the edge of the fabric flat, like a serger would do. It won't let the thread pull tight and crinkle the raw edge.

But you can also use it for fulling your satin stitch - it holds the thread up off of the surface of the fabric until several stitches have been secured. It keeps the satin stitch from tunneling and pulling tight and leaves it pretty and smooth on top.
    I agree. I do think that it's an overcast foot. Isn't it great that we can find something and make it work for what we need? Good job!

It looks like it could be for buttonholes.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

Blog Entries
    I use mine fairly often to overcast raw edges so they don't fray - not quilting related. Your use is far more interesting!
    Barbara

Samuel Johnson - Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed, not by strength but by perseverance.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast