Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
OH MY GOSH...should I buy a new sewing machine?????  ***PICS ADDED PAGE 5!!!*** >

OH MY GOSH...should I buy a new sewing machine????? ***PICS ADDED PAGE 5!!!***

OH MY GOSH...should I buy a new sewing machine????? ***PICS ADDED PAGE 5!!!***

Old 08-26-2008, 12:18 PM

Happy Birthday!! For mother's day, I went out and bought myself a new sewing machine and serger. If I can do it, so can you.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:43 PM

PrettyKitty-I would say your bills(unfortunately), and see if maybe the machine can be on layaway. Happy birthday and so sorry about the break up. But things will get better.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:18 PM

Sad to say this- pay your bills. Good credit can bring you the ability to buy a good machine on payments (if you want in the future). Take care of the bills, you'll feel better.

Happy Birthday!

P.S. If you feel the urge to splurge- just buy a pretty fat quarter or two. Just enough to make the blues go away, just trying to pick one out will keep you occupied.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:54 PM

Not meaning to be a party pooper here... I have been in your position where I wanted something, but there were bills to be paid.

I have a rule I use, and it has always served me well...."Do what you NEED to do first.... then you can do what you WANT to do...." even if that means laying a new machine away and paying for it over time. Sorry for putting a damper on things.

Happy Birthday! :)
Old 08-26-2008, 02:49 PM

A new machine will do wonders for your moral. Bills will always be there. A good machine will last a long time. It will help you take your mind off your troubles. Besides it won't go to your backside like chocolate. I saved money I got for Christmas to buy a whole bolt of fabric I wanted. It felt good. You cheer up and buy that machine. I'm saving my money for an embroidery machine. Have a good day. Deb 8) :thumbup:
Old 08-26-2008, 02:51 PM

I really wanted to say "Buy the machine!!", but after reading what the others have said, I'm with Melissa & BarbM - pay the bills first, and maybe treat yourself to some fat quarters. Then you're that one step closer to getting rid of the debt, that's something to feel good about.
Have some cake for me! Happy Birthday!
Old 08-26-2008, 03:03 PM

I have BEEN there :( :(

Buy the machine. If you pay bills, a year from now you will have nothing to show for this little windfall. If you buy the machine, you will always have a physical reminder of how special you are. A year from now, will paying those bills make such a difference in the big picture of life?

Buy the machine!
Old 08-26-2008, 03:04 PM

I think you should treat yourself and buy a new machine. :D
Old 08-26-2008, 03:10 PM

First, let me say, I LOVE QUILTING. I understand, and live, the obsession.

But, you are an adult, with adult responsibilities. Part of that includes paying the bills. Other people depend on you to pay your bills. It's not all about you (sorry!). And having that debt over your head will not allow you enjoy that new machine.

Go look up a guy named Dave Ramsey. Getting you out of debt is his expertise. You can find him on radio stations all over, or you can listen to him online. He also has a book called "Total Money Makeover". If you go to his website DAVERAMSEY.COM all of his financial tools are currently only $10.00.

It will change your life.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:19 PM

How about a compromise? Put aside part of the money to save for a new machine, then use the rest to pay your bills. Every paycheck period, pay yourself first--put some money into your sewing machine fund. You'll have enough before you know it, and you won't feel guilty and be in debt because you didn't pay your bills.

There just never seems to be enough money to go around, but if you're willing to compromise, you can still find a way to get what you need AND what you want--just not all at once!