Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Oh!My!Gosh!!!! >

Oh!My!Gosh!!!!

Oh!My!Gosh!!!!

Old 07-22-2016, 06:41 AM

*** Congratulations on the Bonanza.
*** Pics please.
Old 07-22-2016, 11:55 AM

Jackpot!!! Lucky you. I love going to auctions, but have had to "watch" myself or else I'd come home with more things than I know what to do with. The last great find...$75 for a Featherweight. Most of the fabric I've seen at the local auctions was not fabric I would quilt with...mostly poly blends and very, very musty.

Congrats on your great find.
Old 07-23-2016, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter View Post
So glad you found it rather than it getting trashed, burned or mouse eaten. cant wait to see the pictures.
I get stupid sentimental about sewing finds at estate sales. I feel I have to buy it so it is loved and appreciated again. I can't bare the thought of it getting tossed and not appreciated. I once bought an entire room at an estate sale....I do try not to read ads about them now as I have so much. I sound like the makings of a hoarder lol! I'm the same with old linens- I just think of the history of them and the life they have been through!
Old 07-23-2016, 08:11 AM
Power Poster

How wonderful for you! Enjoy your finds and show and tell when you can.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:38 AM
Power Poster

You were very fortunate that you had the winning bet, as you received many times that amount in what you got. I'm especially thrilled for you about getting the 3 completed quilts. Unfortunately, when a quilter passes away, the next generation may not think quilts have any significance and it couldn't be further from the truth. It might be interesting to see if you can find out the name of the quilter so that you can give her credit when you get the quilts quilted, which I hope you do, as well as assembling many others, as the blocks are already made. What a find. Congratulations. I think I would fondle every piece of fabric and every quilt block and quilts, as the treasure that they are.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:44 AM

How awesome that all that went to someone who can truly appreciate it! Enjoy! It was meant to be. Can't wait to see the pics.
Old 07-23-2016, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by slbram17 View Post
Used to go to estate auctions, and would see some completed quilts going for 5 dollars. I stopped going to them, they kind of make me sad, and I don't need anything to be honest. I have no self control at the auctions so best for me to realize that and stay away.

Just me though.

I've recently realized that estate sales make me sad, too. It's like walking through someone's life -- everything they loved but their kids or relatives don't want or can't take -- trophies, hobbies, cherished things, displayed for everyone to see -- and for sale at cheap prices!

But I don't fault anyone for having such sales or others going to them and finding nice things to buy. Better than it all going to a landfill, for sure.
Old 07-23-2016, 05:04 PM

I NEVER find fabric at the garage sales I attend. I did, however, get three men's shirts (L) in bright plaids (good quality cotton, too) that I will incorporate into a quilt sometime.
Old 07-23-2016, 09:23 PM

Isn't it amazing to think about where that fabric came from and traveled and ended up in your loving appreciative arms. I am happy you!
Old 07-27-2016, 07:46 AM

UPDATE: I have now washed about 2/3 of the fabric, and am surprised each time. I now have 71 yards of fabric, most in 2-3 yard lengths, although there are some lengths as long as 6 yards. There are 19 sheets, and 10 50x50 'decorator fabric' squares. There is a red fabric that easily has 8-9 yards, a half a bolt of quality muslin ( end of bolt says 96 inches wide). There are 2 6-yard lengths of WOW fabric, and several strips of fabric that look like they may have been intended as bag handles, and all of them have "Vera Bradley" written at intervals on the pattern.
In one box, I found a 4 1/2 inch acrylic square, and another square that is 8 1/2 inches. There is a 12-in square fiskars turntable cutting board, and a tri-recs set still in the package. There is also a fiskars rotary cutter, which needs a new blade, but I can manage to buy replacement blades, lol.
There is a small box that was inside another box, that has 30 hand-sewn 9-patch blocks in repro fabrics, and enough strips partially sewn, to make another 30 blocks. There are 65 various colored hearts for applique that the edges are already basted, so I am guessing that the lady was going to alternate the 9-patch with the heart blocks. If not, that's what I am planning to do with them.
I promised all the orphan blocks to JustaBitCrazy, and will be offering a lot of the other material here on the Board. At this time, I have spent about 40 cents/yard for what I have, but that will likely go down, as I finish counting up the rest. I still have 4 more boxes to go through, and that paltry price does not even include the 3 finished quilt tops, or the notions that I found in the bottom of the one box. All in all, I am very happy with this deal.