Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
OH NO!!!!!!!!!  I use plastic for alot of things and >

OH NO!!!!!!!!! I use plastic for alot of things and

OH NO!!!!!!!!! I use plastic for alot of things and

Old 01-09-2011, 12:38 PM

Gerald Roy, a renowned quilt appraiser and expert on vintage quilts, assured me that storing my antique quilts in plastic storage bins would not damage them, so I'm not the least bit worried about storing my stash the same way. I do toss a dessicant (the things that come in boxes with electronics to protect them from humidity) into each bin to protect against moisture without having to put holes in the bins.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:52 PM

I store my fabric in plastic storage containers with click lock lid and i also store coloured fabrics in a plastic five drawer wheelie storage unit and never had a problem with fabric so far but i always take tip and hints of this forum strongly so hoping i don't get brown spots on mine ,,,
Old 01-09-2011, 12:53 PM

If my main thought was to preserve my fabric and work into the next two or three hundred years I might worry about plastic, but I figure that by then people will not be interested in it. Kind of like making a scrapbook from paper and glue that will preserve my pictures for the next hundred years. I truly hope that by then my pictures have been relegated to some recycle bin. I don't want to bury the future in my stuff.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:54 PM
Power Poster

My fabrics have been in plastic bins for years - some decades, and I have not had one bit of problem. The bins are in cabinets.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:00 PM

I have 4 large plastic totes under my cutting table. Full of fabric. I know it has been there at least 3 to 5 years. No spots, smells, anything. I will continue to store stuff in plastic. Rather have it in plastic than dusty and faded.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:02 PM

Me thinks it is a marketing ploy by Clotilde to buy their fabric storage boards. I've had some fabric since 2005 stored in a plastic bin and it is fine.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by JenniePenny
Me thinks it is a marketing ploy by Clotilde to buy their fabric storage boards. I've had some fabric since 2005 stored in a plastic bin and it is fine.
My first thought was "what were the selling"?
Old 01-09-2011, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by JulieR
Originally Posted by Vanuatu Jill
I have had all fabric for complete quilts (not cut yet) stored in Zip Lock bags for a few years, and when I took them out, there were no problems-that's all the experience I'v had with storing long term in plastic.
Ditto! Anyway, I think I'll take my chances with brown spots when the odds I'll get a mouse, a moth or other downer are much higher
I'm with Julie R...I've never had a problem storing in plastic and I wouldn't want to take the chance of other downers either.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:18 PM

I'v purchased many a quilt kit in a plastic bag. I still have some that I have had for several years. No spots there.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:26 PM

I just received a batch of lovely kits from my DH for Christmas, all of them arrived in plastic bags. He ordered them from the Connecting Threads folks. Over the years I haven't had any problems. Wonder what they were talking about: brown spots? Input, I need input :) (does anybody remember the robot No. 5 Alive?)