Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Oh please guide me experienced ones: batting? backing? >

Oh please guide me experienced ones: batting? backing?

Oh please guide me experienced ones: batting? backing?

Old 10-08-2010, 05:56 AM
Banned

You have so many what if's and can I, or should I, or what about in your original post that it is hard to give good advice. All are valid and possible. So, about the only suggestion I can give because of what you want to accomplish is to "respect the nature of the fabrics". Some you have suggested are a pain to work with - fleese for instance, some are stretchy and a double pain to keep straight. For the eamo, I would suggest batting because two layers of plain cotton are not going to be very warm. Even a thin betting will be better than no batting. Warm and natural doesn't necessarily mean comfort as it is rather stiff. Poly or wool batting would be both light weight, easy to quilt and warm. So consider the nature of any fabric or batting you choose and work within it's constrainsts or ease. Minkee has been used successfully for cuddly warm quilts but am told it is most difficult to keep even and straight when sewing and quilting. You have described very well your desire for each project and will need different combinations of fabrics.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:03 AM
Banned

Your question about yardage for the camo fabric for a generous size twin. You also said this will be a one piece quilt. Then for top you will need at least twice the length plus a little extra as it will need piecing.
Fabric is probably 44" wide and a twin should be wider than that. So you might use the 44"x72" (or whatever length you need) and put a border around it to extend the width. I would do the same for the back but probably put a strip of fabric down the middle to extend the width.
Does this make any sense. Not sure it does to me....lol
Old 10-08-2010, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Holice
You have so many what if's and can I, or should I, or what about in your original post that it is hard to give good advice..
What? are you saying I am too analytical and clear as mud? ( big grin)... Honestly, This thread has been excellent..I know there are a lot of different responses and questions... But every response is valuable info and it's up to me to know what's best for my projects now that I have the facts.. Thanks (((((everyone)))))

And the flannel yardge makes perfect sense to me (borders are my friend lol) ty

: you newbie beginners should copy this down as well and put it in the vault lol
Old 10-08-2010, 06:33 AM
Banned

No, I didn't intend to imply non analytical or unclear.
Just saying that with your several projects and the intended purpouse and use of each, that it is difficult to pin down a "one size (or fabric) fits all". Each has very special considerations to achieve the intended goal. What will work for one doesn't necessarily mean it will work for others. So, I go back to my suggestion to consider the purpose and then respect the nature of the various fabrics that might be possible to achieve that purpose. While cotton batting might sound warm and cuddly, it might require so much quilting that it will be stiff and undrapable......etc, etc, etc. Minkee or the stretch fleece feels so cuddly and warm and friendly on the bolt, it might be so aggrivating to work with that the pleasure is out of the project before you finish.
And a P.S. You questioned the quality of the camo fabric on line. The price sounds about right. I have collected some of this fabric and made quilts. I didn't find any that was so poor qulity that I couldn't use it. Since the quilt is being used in camping, I believe it will be ok and much less than LQS quality which is much more expensive.
A really fun camo fabric is the one that was printed in the traditional camo design with black ladies overprinted into the design. It was called "Camoflage Ladies" I've had a lot of fun with this one.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:56 AM

lol Holice.. I love the lady on camo idea...However, I've shown him camo leaves and camo with spiders that was pretty unique looking... All I got was a nose wrinkle response..Hence my sneaking snoopy in an inconspicuous spot, just to personalize it a bit and make him smile....
And I understand exactly what you are saying about materials for each project need to be considered individually..

I have to try some of that minkee on a project eventually it sounds so lush...
Old 10-08-2010, 07:58 AM
Banned

If you're after soft and cuddly, do not use Warm and Natural, it quilts up rather stiffly.

Wool is fantastic, very breathable and has a gorgeous drape! I love Quilters Dream Wool, it's very soft.

Pair it with a nice flannel back and it just doesn't get any softer. I would avoid fleece simply because it's poly and won't breathe.

You can get flannel in solid colors, which would look out of place with a more elegant top.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:16 AM

I agree with the suggestions about using wool batting for a snuggly warm quilt. Either the quilter's dream wool or the Hobb's wool batt would work well - I think the Hobb's has a little more loft, but they would both be good choices. One thing I haven't seen addressed here is about using batting for your wall-hanging. I would go ahead and use a lightweight BONDED batting. You want a batt that gives you some stability and body so a wall-hanging doesn't sag. Most battings have a "cross-wise" stretch, so be sure you check that you use the "unstretchy" length-wise for the length of your wall-hanging. (One quilt artist famous for large wall-hangings that she sells to corporations to be used on their walls uses off-white colored "navy" blankets as her "batting" since they do not sag at all.)
Old 10-08-2010, 09:31 AM
Power Poster

I like to use warm and natural and warm and white which seems to be a little thinner. So far I have done Stitch-in-the-ditch quilting and I am OK with the drape of the quilt. The good thing about w&n is that it can be quilted quite far apart and hold up well in the wash. The bad thing is that it does get stiff when it gets quilted close together. My cuddle quilt keeps me quite warm.

Have you looked at the patterns of flannel? There are some lovely subtle flannel prints out there and I would definitely use a flannel as backing. Just make sure to wash it and dry on hot because it will likely shrink much more than your standard cottong fabric. You don't want that much pucker.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:56 PM

This is such great imformation..

Can you buy the Quilters dream Wool at Joanns/hobby lobby or somewhere like that?
I've made a mental note to check into a subtle flannel print for her more elegant quilt top (decided to make myself the same quilt with wall hanging. I love the fabric that much..Of course it might be 2011 before I can get to it lol)
I'm also keeping the warm n natural in mind because I like the idea of being able to quilt so far apart...
PMY- lightweight Bonded(going to research what the bonded means) batting, lengthwise grain and off white navy blankets, all very much noted..Thanks

Now I am definitely wishing I'd bought a better sewing machine..
Old 10-08-2010, 04:27 PM

I use warm and natural cotton for my super good baby quilts. It is actually good for the littel babies because it is less likely to interfere with breathing. It also is not ss bulky.
I am also using it for my quilts because of it being warm in winter and cool in summer.
I use the polyester batting when I am making a quilt to sell and don't have a buyer yet.