Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 36

Thread: Ohhhh noooo. Why UFOs happen

  1. #1
    Senior Member newestnana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Brick, NJ
    Posts
    819

    Ohhhh noooo. Why UFOs happen

    Finally back to sewing after a hiatus due to Sandy (we lost power for ten days but no other damage, for which we are very grateful).

    I'm making a QAYG using the Fast Lane pattern (kinda looks like plaid when completed correctly, correctly being the operative word).

    I completed all 48 blocks, assembled them into 8 rows of 6 blocks each, laid them out and .... Hmmm ....what's wrong here? The colors weren't lining up correctly. Finally got out the pattern, pored over the instructions, and found that 45 of the 48 blocks had been assembled incorrectly.

    Two options: disassemble the rows and correct the 45 incorrect blocks, or take apart the three "correct" ones to look like the rest. I will lose the plaid effect but, well, I don't think I'm up to the bigger task. Not sure I can bear this job...it could become a UFO.

    This is so discouraging.

    Thanks for letting me whine.
    marcia

    To be a good sewer, you have to be a good ripper.

  2. #2
    Senior Member newestnana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Brick, NJ
    Posts
    819
    Pic of the way the quilt will be assembled using Plan B, which loses some of the woven effect.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    marcia

    To be a good sewer, you have to be a good ripper.

  3. #3
    Senior Member BeckyB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Camas, Wa
    Posts
    458
    Blog Entries
    1
    You poor thing! I hate it when I do stuff like that! I am glad to hear you only lost power, so many have lost so much more!
    I like your signature, kinda reflects this case!
    It is easier to be wise for others than for ourselves.

  4. #4
    Senior Member kristakz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    624
    Sorry to hear that. It's no fun having to change plans at this point. But if you exchange the position of the blocks, on every second column, doesn't that get the woven effect back?

    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 2333
Size:  309.0 KB

  5. #5
    Super Member jcrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Posts
    2,667
    Blog Entries
    5
    Don't rip them all out. Just rip out the three. The quilt will be just fine like it is. So sorry to hear about you being without power for so long.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

  6. #6
    Senior Member newestnana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Brick, NJ
    Posts
    819
    Quote Originally Posted by kristakz View Post
    Sorry to hear that. It's no fun having to change plans at this point. But if you exchange the position of the blocks, on every second column, doesn't that get the woven effect back?

    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 2333
Size:  309.0 KB
    Good thought...I will keep trying. But I think if I do that the paisley (lighter pink) and floral (darker pink) rows wont line up. Thanks for the suggestion.
    marcia

    To be a good sewer, you have to be a good ripper.

  7. #7
    Senior Member kristakz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    624
    Quote Originally Posted by newestnana View Post
    Good thought...I will keep trying. But I think if I do that the paisley (lighter pink) and floral (darker pink) rows wont line up. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Oh... I didn't notice the difference in those 2 fabrics. Rats! How about rotating each of those blocks 180 degrees as you swap them. That will put the paisley on the other side of those columns which would actually make the horizontal and vertical patterns more similar (alternating paisley/solid/floral ... floral/solid/paisley).

    Good luck. I hope you can find something that makes you happy, with minimal ripping.

  8. #8
    Senior Member newestnana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Brick, NJ
    Posts
    819
    Quote Originally Posted by kristakz View Post
    Oh... I didn't notice the difference in those 2 fabrics. Rats! How about rotating each of those blocks 180 degrees as you swap them. That will put the paisley on the other side of those columns which would actually make the horizontal and vertical patterns more similar (alternating paisley/solid/floral ... floral/solid/paisley).

    Good luck. I hope you can find something that makes you happy, with minimal ripping.
    If I rotate them either the vertical pink fabrics or the horizontal pink fabrics don't line up. I'll have to decide which is the lesser of two mistakes.

    Thanks again.
    marcia

    To be a good sewer, you have to be a good ripper.

  9. #9
    Senior Member newestnana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Brick, NJ
    Posts
    819
    Quote Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
    Don't rip them all out. Just rip out the three. The quilt will be just fine like it is. So sorry to hear about you being without power for so long.
    Thank you for your concern, but we really only suffered an inconvenience (and besides that we escaped to visit my 2-1/2year old grandson for part of that time, always a delight). We have friends who had lots of damage, which puts things in perspective.

    People have been amazing...Lots of volunteers, linemen/women and law enforcement from distant states, national guard keeping everyone safe, donations flowing in.
    marcia

    To be a good sewer, you have to be a good ripper.

  10. #10
    Super Member ube quilting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    6,634
    Blog Entries
    31
    Glad to hear you made it through okay. the quilt on the other hand. This all depends on you of course. IMHO, I would change the three and call this one 'Sandy's Fault'. Ha. It looks cool the way it is and I would do another with the plaid theme.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.