Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ok, I did it now! Help!

Blog Entries

Unhappy ok, I did it now! Help!

I have a feather weight singer maybe 1955, in good shape.

The light burnt out, tried to change it, problem it does not screw out, it has to turn up a little and pull out.
    This did not work for me, the light broke off, I used small pliers to pull the metal part out no luck.
    The metal part is broken and near even with the socket in the machine, The light over case will not come off.
    I just keep making it worse. Any good ideas out there?
    There are days when nothing seems to go right, I also jamed up my other sewing machine it had to go to the shop
    I am glad it is under warrenty.

Banned
    get the little book about caring for your featherweight. Not sure of the title but is by Nany Johnson-Shrebo

Blog Entries
    Will do, thanks. That little green book it came with is not much help. It is a 221 feather weight from my mother in law.

When I had a problem with my featherweight, Jim M. from this board referred me to the following web site: http://thefeatherweight221factory.com I'm sure you can find the information you need to fix your machine on this site.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

There is a tool that fits into the broken socket and as you squeese the handles it grips the inside of the socket and you can turn and twist it out. Your bulb is a baounet. (ok I totally didn't spell that right.) Point being you push in and then turn.

In the old days they told us to use a slice of raw potato when the bulb of a light broke. On the FW 221, you are suppose to press in the light bulb and turn it to the left and it should pop out - I know there is a cover - but maybe you could carve te raw potato so it will fit. Just a thought.

You can also use a cork to get broken bulb out!

I did the same thing. I had to take it to my local repairman. He was so nice. For the cost of a bulb, about $3, he changed it for me. Just safer. Most sewing machine shops will do it for you.

There are several Yahoo groups for Featherweights, I can't remember them off the top of my head but you could do a search.

next time 1. get a 1 in. di. vinyl tubing cut about 2 in. on the end cut some slits You can push it on the light bulb and it helps to take the bulb on and off. or 2. get duct tape 5" long 1" wide wrap around bulb leave tail as handle for leverage push on end of bulb with finger and take in and out bulb that way (it is a little hard to get tape off the new bulb. That's why I like the vinyl tubing best

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast