Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ok, I want to marry Elmer!!! >

Ok, I want to marry Elmer!!!

Ok, I want to marry Elmer!!!

Old 03-11-2013, 08:12 AM

I have got to try using the Elmer's glue. I may make something small, like a runner, and see how it works. I am taking a 90x90 quilt to a local long arm quilter. It will cost me just over $200 to get it quilted and she is providing the batting also. I usually do my own quilting but I have never made a quilt this big before and don't want to mess it up.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by EasyPeezy View Post
Why not quilt it yourself? I don't FMQ either but I finish all my quilts myself.
You don't have to limit yourself to SID. There are all kinds of continuous line quilting
that you can do. Here are some ideas.
http://blog.petitdesignco.com/2012/1...-quilting.html
I understand it's a fairly big quilt. Start in the middle and take lots of breaks.
I just want to say Thank You for sharing this site!! I have just spent the past hour going through her 31 days and was so inspired. Will be exploring my walking foot on the quilt I am making right now. I just never thought of even trying anything like this.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:33 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Wait! Can you baste a quilt - glue/spray/pin/thread - and THEN take it to the LA?? Don't they mount it to their frame in a way that does not require/allow pre-basting??!

Jan in VA
Old 03-12-2013, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
Wait! Can you baste a quilt - glue/spray/pin/thread - and THEN take it to the LA?? Don't they mount it to their frame in a way that does not require/allow pre-basting??!

Jan in VA
I've rented a LA a few times and one of the advantages, IMO, is not having to baste the quilt. That said, the setup on the LA can take some time when you aren't well practiced at the process.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
this is a great site... thanks for sharing. the only problem is that the blogger used a yellow font, which i just cannot read as there's no contrast with the background.
It is a great site. If you are having trouble reading it, just click through all the links and when you come back they will be a different color. Of course that only works until your browsing history clears but it is a temporary solution, anyway. Now, excuse me while I go make friends with my walking foot guide.
Oh, there are also books on this subject. Go to Amazon and just search "straight line quilting" and a couple will come right up. Then I would suggest seeing if your local library has one or both to try before you purchase.

Last edited by sparkys_mom; 03-12-2013 at 04:37 AM.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:45 AM

Check out Happy Crafters. I think the website is happycrafters.net. Their prices are very reasonable. They charge by the design, not the size of the quilt. They have done 3 quilts for me and I will not hesitate to use them again.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:49 AM

I have glue basted 3 quilts so far. And I love it!
Old 03-12-2013, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by EasyPeezy View Post
Why not quilt it yourself? I don't FMQ either but I finish all my quilts myself.
You don't have to limit yourself to SID. There are all kinds of continuous line quilting
that you can do. Here are some ideas.
http://blog.petitdesignco.com/2012/1...-quilting.html
I understand it's a fairly big quilt. Start in the middle and take lots of breaks.
Thanks for posting this. I like how she does the quilt as you go in the 31 day area. Neat way of doing quilt as you go.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by bigredharley View Post
Now to decide about machine quilting - I'm learning disabled when it comes to FMQ, so thinking I need to send it out to be LA quilted (it's 98" x 99"). $200 seems so much to spend for that though (it's for my DD). Anyone know of anywhere less expensive than Missouri Quilt?
To me, this is a great price. I paid $320 to have this king-sized quilt LA'd: http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...d-t191845.html.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:51 AM

Two cents per inch is the going price at local quilt shops in my area. I've long-armed a couple of tops for other folks and have found those who are as picky as I am about pressing seams and those who are not. I spent two days pressing seams on one top to make them lie flat before I could actually quilt it, plus the borders were ruffled. I only quilted it as a favor to my neighbor as it was for her daughter. If I hadn't been fixing this top, I could have been piecing my own quilt.