Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 66

Thread: OK - I've been quilting for 4 years and I find out about this NOW???!!!!

  1. #1
    mamatobugboo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Maple Grove, MN (by way of GA, NC, PA, NC, AL!)
    Posts
    1,553
    for 4 years I have spent hours pin basting my quilts, only to stuff them through my machine with pins getting hung up on the sides of the table, and as some of you saw, actually sewing THROUGH the heads of the pins!, having to stop to remove pins when they get in the way, dealing with the weight of the dang thing, and generally getting REALLY REALLY frustrated....and NOW I find out about quilt basting spray!!

    OMGosh, where has it been my whole quilting life??? Currently working on my 1st quilt basted with the spray and I will never never never use pins again....it is smoother, faster, cleaner, prettier, easier.....i am SO IN LOVE!!! :P :P Until, of course, I get my quilting frame :lol: !!

    Just thought I would share! :D

  2. #2
    Super Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    3,502
    yipeeeeeeeeeee welcome to the world i used pins on my first quilt and i said after that there has to be a easier way than pins i saw the 505 basting spray at my local quilt shop and asked the lady what it was for and she said she uses it so i tried it and fell in love i use it everytime i have even gone as far as to move the quilt from room to room tote it around with me differant places and it still stays in place before i get it all sewn then i wash the quilt after i am done

  3. #3
    mgshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    3,079
    I have never tried the spray, I wonder if it would work OK for hand quilting. Does it add any stiffness or anything?

  4. #4
    Moderator tlrnhi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    In the middle of a mess...
    Posts
    19,760
    I'm wondering about the stickyness of the glue. WOuldn't it stick to the needle? I know that sewing with Wonder Under, the glue gets all gummed up on the needle and the thread breaks alot. Then I have to take my alcohol (not my wine) and clean the needle and then clean the bobbin casing.

  5. #5
    mamatobugboo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Maple Grove, MN (by way of GA, NC, PA, NC, AL!)
    Posts
    1,553
    Quote Originally Posted by mgshaw
    I have never tried the spray, I wonder if it would work OK for hand quilting. Does it add any stiffness or anything?
    Hi Melissa (my original middle name!),
    It does not make it stiff at all, it just keeps it really smooth. I have not found problems with the fabric moving or anything - just smooth like butter!!

  6. #6
    Moderator Jim's Gem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Camarillo, California
    Posts
    35,330
    After pinning my first couple of quilts, I found the basting spray as well. I started with the cheaper ones, not too much trouble with gumming up the needle but cleaning up the over-spray and had a hard time getting the sticky stuff off my fingers. I use the 505 spray now, smells better, cleans up nicer but more expensive. I have probably spray-basted 35 or more quilts. Make sure that you don't use too much spray and I like to put old sheets and stuff around the edges so I don't get spray on the floor (or tables,or wherever)

  7. #7
    mgshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    3,079
    Hmmm, might have to try it cause I really hate basting even with the pins!!!!

  8. #8
    mamatobugboo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Maple Grove, MN (by way of GA, NC, PA, NC, AL!)
    Posts
    1,553
    Quote Originally Posted by tlrnhi
    I'm wondering about the stickyness of the glue. WOuldn't it stick to the needle? I know that sewing with Wonder Under, the glue gets all gummed up on the needle and the thread breaks alot. Then I have to take my alcohol (not my wine) and clean the needle and then clean the bobbin casing.
    Hi Terri, Please don't use your wine on that (I say this as i finish a wonderful glass myself!)! There has been no stickyness at all on the needle and the thread has not broken at all - I haven't checked the bobbin casing, but will do a cleaning tomorrow before I start again!

  9. #9
    mamatobugboo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Maple Grove, MN (by way of GA, NC, PA, NC, AL!)
    Posts
    1,553
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
    After pinning my first couple of quilts, I found the basting spray as well. I started with the cheaper ones, not too much trouble with gumming up the needle but cleaning up the over-spray and had a hard time getting the sticky stuff off my fingers. I use the 505 spray now, smells better, cleans up nicer but more expensive. I have probably spray-basted 35 or more quilts. Make sure that you don't use too much spray and I like to put old sheets and stuff around the edges so I don't get spray on the floor (or tables,or wherever)
    I use an old blanket under everything - yes, it gets sticky, but is good for some laughs when your feet stick to the blanket and you are fighting the batting to stay off your hands! But well worth it :!: :!: :!:

  10. #10
    mamatobugboo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Maple Grove, MN (by way of GA, NC, PA, NC, AL!)
    Posts
    1,553
    Quote Originally Posted by mgshaw
    Hmmm, might have to try it cause I really hate basting even with the pins!!!!
    it is so worth it! use your coupons from joanns or hancocks and get it cheap! happy basting!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.