Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
OK, so my long arm has to pay for itself-why doesn't his boat? >

OK, so my long arm has to pay for itself-why doesn't his boat?

OK, so my long arm has to pay for itself-why doesn't his boat?

Old 09-02-2011, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by jillybean302
My husband has a very expensive hobby of pick up truck, truck pulls and drag racing it also. Last year, for Christmas he kept harping at me that he wanted a "turbo" for his truck. And when I say harping, I mean he would tell me everyday that he wanted one, and wanted me to buy it for him.

Anyway, funny story-2 months ago, after work my husband came home, and saw a new vacuum sweeper in the living room. "What's that?" and "how much did that cost?" (I had bought a Kirby which is a higher end vacuum. HE was giving me a hard time because I spend money. So after he asked how much it cost and did I need a vacuum that was so expensive? I told him I wanted "the TURBO model". He never said another word!!
PERFECT Reply!!!!! ROLF
Old 09-02-2011, 04:01 AM

My long arm paid for itself a long time ago. My husbands 1949 Chevrolet has not made on red cent. Now I tell him if he drinks $20.00 worth of beer a week I put $20.00 in my pocket. I don't drink so I just save it up. One day I'll have enough saved up to get the machine I want. LOL
Old 09-02-2011, 06:38 AM

These are just so much fun to read. I bought my used HQ on Craigslist and DH was very impressed at how cheap it was compared to new....$2,500

He once mentioned quilting for money and I told him I had a job and this is my hobby. I offered to teach him so he could do it. NOT interested.

He is a good guy and we each have out own spending money which is our business what we spend it on. We contribute jointly to our household fund at a percentage based on our income ala Susie Orman. Best decision we ever made.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:25 AM

What a crack up! Your husband must have been in cahoots with mine! That's exactly what he said.......
Old 09-02-2011, 12:12 PM

My DH bought a boat. He came home, and said half the boat, half the motor, and half the trailer was mine. I told him I knew which half of everything I wanted. The half that didn't need GAS. He doesn't say anything about what I buy. LOL
Old 09-03-2011, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by jbud2
A M E N !! :thumbup:
Ditto
Old 09-03-2011, 05:10 AM

Wives can have expensive toys. You just have to show them who is the boss and it certainly isn't them.

I remember a few years ago hubby coming into my networked computer room and looking at everything I had in there and his starting to fuss about it all and how I did not need all of that and should get rid of most of it.

I gave him that kind of stare that he knew to back out of the room very quietly and go back to his toys.

I wrote up a list of things I would get rid of if he got rid of items he should get rid of. In his list was all the shotguns, rifles, fishing rods, fishing boat and more ....one for every item he wanted me to get rid of. I gave him the list and told him when he got rid of each item next to the item he wanted me to give up I'd get rid of mine.

He left me alone after that.

Just like he does not ask me permission to buy his toys I don't ask him permission to buy my toys.

You should not feel you have to justify what you want to buy and just do it.

ASK HIM when his boat is going to pay for itself! Bet that will shut him up.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:29 AM

Love your reply!!!! Sounds like something said in this house in CA!
Old 09-03-2011, 12:42 PM

We can , you just enjoy. Quilt at your own pace and have fun. Next time hubby asks you if you are ready to start bring in income from your quilting , tell him, yep, I am just waiting for you to bring in the money from your fishing and bird/ dove sales.

We women need new toys too.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:56 PM

If you every find the answer to that question, please let me know. Better yet, write a book with the answer. I have dozens of friends that would buy it just to hear that answer.

Lets see, mine has a boat, motorcycle and a motorhome, but I don't NEED a new machine.