Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Okay - here's my problem >

Okay - here's my problem

Okay - here's my problem

Old 01-10-2011, 04:54 AM

I only have one word for you --- RETIREMENT ---:roll: :thumbup:
Old 01-10-2011, 04:55 AM

Have you had a physical recently? Sometimes after 45 being tired and apathetic is a symptom of something else. It could be that you're starting menopause, low on iron, or any number of things. Right after my 45th birthday I started feeling so tire that sometimes I had to come home from work to lie down. I finally went to the doctor and found out I was 14 weeks pregnant. Please get checked out then start planning projects. Do your choosing one evening, your fabric planning the next, cutting the next then you'll be ready to start sewing the next night.

I had to laugh when you said your workplace was toxic mentally. I used to run a chemical warehouse--it was extremely toxic both ways.
:thumbdown:
Old 01-10-2011, 05:00 AM
Power Poster

Maybe some hand work would help? My job somedays is very tiring...today I am unloading a semi, I will be very tired tonight,but hand sewing helps me relax!
Old 01-10-2011, 05:11 AM

why change who you are? If quilting requires energy and heavy mind work, reserve the activity for a time when you don't have that in other areas of your life. I enjoy the mind=work, so don't have the same problem you do, but there are definitely times when I can't look at my machine, and at those times I find other things to do that I enjoy...and I don't feel guilty about leaving the machine to rest. Or you could find a part of the quilting process that does help you relax and do only that part when you're tired...saving the rest for a better time.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:17 AM

I think that choosing a very easy, almost non-thinking pattern would be the way to go (simple 6-10" squares, D2P, rail fence, etc.). This would allow you not to stress over all the details, and just do something fun.

Then, when you do have more time, or are less stressed, have a more challenging project set aside to work on. This way, when the time is right, it's waiting.

Believe it or not, the hand-quilting is also very soothing. I like that, and applique, during stressed times as it forces me to slow down (I tend to run fast) and I find myself soothed, calmed, and enjoying the process. There's just something about that rocking needle...

I do these tips myself. Sometimes I love the challenges. At others, I just want to sew and not think and just listen to my music, petal to the metal! And it destresses me. Since I enjoy both types of quilting, as well as both types of longarming, I keep easy and hard ones of each type waiting for me, depending upon my mood :)

Hope this helps,
Debbie in Austin
Old 01-10-2011, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready
Have you had a physical recently? Sometimes after 45 being tired and apathetic is a symptom of something else. It could be that you're starting menopause, low on iron, or any number of things. Right after my 45th birthday I started feeling so tire that sometimes I had to come home from work to lie down. I finally went to the doctor and found out I was 14 weeks pregnant. Please get checked out then start planning projects. Do your choosing one evening, your fabric planning the next, cutting the next then you'll be ready to start sewing the next night.

I had to laugh when you said your workplace was toxic mentally. I used to run a chemical warehouse--it was extremely toxic both ways.
HOLY MOLY!!!! :shock:

That would be shocker for me! LOL!

Debbie in Austin
Old 01-10-2011, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready

HOLY MOLY!!!! :shock:

That would be shocker for me! LOL!

Debbie in Austin
Old 01-10-2011, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by tuxedokitty
I work in a hectic environment (don't we all?) and quilting isn't something that just comes "natural" to me. I have to think and concentrate over each little step on a project so that it comes out right. When I get off from work, or on the weekends, I feel so burned out, I just want to kick back and not think. That's on the one hand. On the other hand, I have made probably 12-15 quilts, several table runners, etc. and have tons of really pretty kits as well as fabric waiting for me. I have a nice machine....so basically NO EXCUSE. Anyone got any advice for this lazy 55 year old???
I do this during the Christmas rush. What I did was start a "Challenge!" on one of my other forums. I didn't get everything done, but it sure did help!
Old 01-10-2011, 06:03 AM

I haven't "burned-out" yet on quilting like I used to with cross-stitch, but if I can't focus on my quilting, I will walk away and leave it for a few days, then do an easy project like warm wishes, or a quick table runner, something that requires no thought process-or not much anyway.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:10 AM

When you kick back have a basket of pieces to work on..browse quilting books, magazines to inspire you.... I set up a card table in tv room and work on a project.

Originally Posted by tuxedokitty
I work in a hectic environment (don't we all?) and quilting isn't something that just comes "natural" to me. I have to think and concentrate over each little step on a project so that it comes out right. When I get off from work, or on the weekends, I feel so burned out, I just want to kick back and not think. That's on the one hand. On the other hand, I have made probably 12-15 quilts, several table runners, etc. and have tons of really pretty kits as well as fabric waiting for me. I have a nice machine....so basically NO EXCUSE. Anyone got any advice for this lazy 55 year old???