Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Okay - here's my problem

I work in a hectic environment (don't we all?) and quilting isn't something that just comes "natural" to me. I have to think and concentrate over each little step on a project so that it comes out right. When I get off from work, or on the weekends, I feel so burned out, I just want to kick back and not think. That's on the one hand. On the other hand, I have made probably 12-15 quilts, several table runners, etc. and have tons of really pretty kits as well as fabric waiting for me. I have a nice machine....so basically NO EXCUSE. Anyone got any advice for this lazy 55 year old???

Quote Originally Posted by tuxedokitty
    I work in a hectic environment (don't we all?) and quilting isn't something that just comes "natural" to me. I have to think and concentrate over each little step on a project so that it comes out right. When I get off from work, or on the weekends, I feel so burned out, I just want to kick back and not think. That's on the one hand. On the other hand, I have made probably 12-15 quilts, several table runners, etc. and have tons of really pretty kits as well as fabric waiting for me. I have a nice machine....so basically NO EXCUSE. Anyone got any advice for this lazy 55 year old???
    have you been reading my mind?

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    OM my sounds like a challenge to me. Quilting is so relaxing to me. Set up a place to sew where you can sit and sew at least an hour a night. Once you get going again you will use it as a relaxation hour. You just need a little nudge. If you are like me I procrastinate and then once I get going, it's great. Wishing you luck in getting started again.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Jim
    Quilting relaxes me...its my CALGON

Why not do the patterns that require squares...instead of those pesky triangles and difficult patterns? 9P to D9P, 4 to 9P, and Yellow Brick Road to name a few. That's what I do when I get overwhelmed with more difficult patterns. Sometimes I just need to take a break and do something else for a bit...the quilting bug always takes me back to my machine!

Have you tried hand quilting/piecing? If you don't set a time limit on your project and just let it progress as rapidly or as slowly as your schedule allows and do a really simple design (I did Around the World, starting at the center and working out in rings/stairsteps) it can be very relaxing. It took me a total of about three years to complete the queen sized top, but a number of other projects were completed in between times.

Have always considered it downtime fun, best if complete :) even if just a simple pattern, gives the feeling of accomplishment, have no clue why we always need to be productive, to the point of exhaustion.
    Take a break, hang out here, count your blessings, you'll rejuice.... :)

Have never considered it a competitive sport, but it can be made into one, No QP, do like it to look right for my eye. :)

Power Poster
    How about starting a pattern on a weekend and maybe you will look forward to keeeping working on it when you get home from work.

I agree with all of the above advice. Just pick a short amount of time, even if it is only 10 minutes. Its amazing how just a few minutes will jump start you and make you feel better. Good Luck and hang in there....

I so understand what your talking about. I work in a very toxic place, not for real but mentally. Some days when I get home, I just can't do anything, except read the board. The other day in GCC, there was a post about thyroid problems and checking your eyebrows, if you lost the hair on the ends, you might have a problem. Well, internet addict I am, I started checking out low thyroid and seems like I have half of those things. Today, I'm calling the Dr. and making an appointment. I shouldn't feel this old for only being 56. You may want to see the doctor for a check-up, if you haven't had one in a while.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast