Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Old embroidered dresser scarf >

Old embroidered dresser scarf

Old embroidered dresser scarf

Old 04-08-2015, 02:07 AM

Because the linen is so thin and the embroidery is so old, I would use a backing of some kind (lightweight interfacing or a lightweight muslin, just make sure the stretch is going in the other direction from the scarf and stay away from any cut work or lace edges). You can leave it at that and put into a frame with glass over it, just make sure it's on acid free backing and mating and out of the direct sun). Or you if you have any other family items (ie: hankies, christening gowns, etc...), you could applaca them to quilt and then you it on a guest bed or as a wall hanging (using a pattern that might have been popular around your moms time or in colors she liked). Good luck and post pictures after your finished. Please
Old 04-08-2015, 02:12 AM

Same here I've never really heard them called anything else but scarves, at least not that I know of, if they were called something else, perhaps I didn't know what the person was talking about or just missed it.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:55 AM

It doesn't matter if you use anything behind it, that's a personal decision. Do not let glass touch or hang where sun hits it. A really big DON'T use starch because it will dry rot. Never store anything with starch in it.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:25 AM

You could just frame it into a picture. Having it professionally done would help to preserve it for years.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:44 AM

A wall hanging would be perfect for a dresser scarf. I have seen some beautiful linens appliqued by hand onto a quilted whole cloth background. Great idea!
Old 04-08-2015, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by granny64 View Post
You could just frame it into a picture. Having it professionally done would help to preserve it for years.
That was my thought as well.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:50 AM

I would not use starch. Silverfish love starch and if they can get to it they will eat the fabric to get the starch. I would applique it onto a simple light colored (white or cream maybe) backing and do some nice quilting around the outside. Muy daughter used one end of a scarf like that and used old beads sewn one at a time for the quilting in the scarf part with lots of beautiful machine quilting around the outside of the scarf and a simple narrow binding to match the blue of the ladies dress. It is beautiful.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:49 AM

For those who don't call it a scarf, curious...what do you call it? The only term I ever heard was "dresser scarf" but I'm not from the south.
Old 04-08-2015, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Bubbie View Post
Because the linen is so thin and the embroidery is so old, I would use a backing of some kind (lightweight interfacing or a lightweight muslin, just make sure the stretch is going in the other direction from the scarf and stay away from any cut work or lace edges). You can leave it at that and put into a frame with glass over it, just make sure it's on acid free backing and mating and out of the direct sun). Or you if you have any other family items (ie: hankies, christening gowns, etc...), you could applaca them to quilt and then you it on a guest bed or as a wall hanging (using a pattern that might have been popular around your moms time or in colors she liked). Good luck and post pictures after your finished. Please
The only thing I can add to this great advice is maybe use glue (school glue only!) basting after the fusible is on to hold it perfectly in place for the applique, since you wouldnt want to chance having to remove stitches or stitch holes on a family heirloom.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:38 AM

"Dresser scarf" to this southern gal too. I made my SIL a quilt using cut outs of the embroidery pictures from several different items (she had a box full !!!! that she sent to me to use to make her a quilt); it turned out beautiful--I did it by hand and it took me nearly three years to do it--but I can't show it off because her daughter saw it on her bed during her next visit and claimed it for herself. I think it is on special display in her ultra-modern apt in Virginia now. Sorry, no picture--but it is still uppermost in my bank of memories of quilts I have made.