Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Old or new style machine? >

Old or new style machine?

Old or new style machine?

Old 07-04-2011, 06:08 AM

I have a Viking 630 we bought in the mid to late 80's, which I'm still very happy with.
Whenever I look online to buy feet, it always asks if it's "Old Style or New Style?"
I know this is a very specific question, but does anyone here know what exactly the difference is between the two, other than asking the place I would purchase from? I know they would tell me, I just wondered why the difference and what it is.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:13 AM
Power Poster

I have seen low/high/slant shank, snap on, but haven't seen that one yet... I am curious now too :D:D:D
Old 07-04-2011, 08:29 AM

I wonder if this means snap on feet or feet with shanks attached? I have never heard of the term either.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:30 AM

My newer machines have snap on feet. My old old kenmore(mid 70's) has ones that are screwed on. Maybe it's the same with yours?
Old 07-04-2011, 09:00 AM

Are you looking at generic feet or Viking feet? The 630 is in the Optima group (group 3) of Viking machines. Bernina sells feet with 'old style' or 'new style' designations because they changed the mounting mechanism (not the shank height really) but left the foot numbers the same. To my knowledge, Viking does not refer to them that way, but generic places might. Not much help, sorry.

You can find any Viking accessory or part number on their website. That may help. http://www.husqvarnaviking.com/us/ac...ies_search.asp
Old 07-04-2011, 09:01 AM

What I know:

The feet snap on.

Viking started a series of machines, Optima.

They decided to stop making the ones that started with 1xx
and make the models that start with 6xx, starting with the 610

While they phased out the 1xx, the magazine Consumer Reports came out with a glowing report of the 150, and many sewers started asking for it, it was in CR and they said it was good, it must be good!

What was Vikng to do?

What they did: They took the outside of the 610 and just put a 150E where the 610 was, so essintially, a 150E is a 610. Though I do think there are 610s also.

I bought a 150E on ebay and I can see why the 150 got the glowing report. I saw the pic in the ad on ebay and it looked like my 630, and the walking foot and all presser feet fit it too. I think I'm just going to hang on to it if my daughter's newer Singer wears out (which I expect it to)
The 150E does have 'blanks' where the 630 has 3 buttons to push, and the 150E has only 1
The 630 has many more stitches too

I just wanted to know what the difference between old syle and new style was. I guess just to fill in the blanks of the story.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:06 AM

I have a 150E (love it). All feet for group 3 will fit all machines in group 3 and since both the 630 and the 150/150E are in group 3, it shouldn't matter. Make sense?
Old 07-04-2011, 11:14 AM

Makes sense, and it shouldn't matter, I just wondered what the difference was. There must be a difference because the different places that sell things for the 630 always differentiate between old and new style

Like these 2 places use N.S. for new style. You know, I should just write and ask them

http://www.sewingpartsonline.com/vik...odel-list.aspx
http://www.thesewingoutlet.com/categ...-Viking-Parts/

Maybe I'm just thinkng too much and should go sew a quilt!
Old 07-04-2011, 05:39 PM

The only info I have found is that there was a transition change in the bobbin cases...long pin (old) to short pin (new). No effect on any other accessories. See the note on the first bobbin case listing.
http://sewingmachine221sale.bizland....re/page46.html
Match your bobbin case to the drawings and if it matches the top one, it's old style; if the bottom one, it's new.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:18 PM

Thank you for the info! I never knew that and wondered why I saw photos of one bobbin case on one photo, and another in another, yet machines 'looked the same