Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Old Question? How to square up blocks >

Old Question? How to square up blocks

Old Question? How to square up blocks

Old 03-14-2015, 04:36 AM

Default Squaring up blocks

Originally Posted by cathyquilty View Post
Does anyone know of a good video to watch about squaring up blocks or can explain in easy terms how to do it
I personally like Deb Tucker's Tucker Trimmers for squaring up blocks......she has several videos on her website - studio 180 designs......very little waste, and perfect blocks every time.
Old 03-14-2015, 05:55 AM

Betharoo if they are all the same size leave them as they are. When you square up it's to make everything the same so no need to change anything.
Old 03-14-2015, 06:04 AM

I have used this method after finding this video - and it works! I like it because you only need one square and can use it for many sizes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kzWJlqyEhA

Last edited by lorimax5859; 03-14-2015 at 06:06 AM.
Old 03-14-2015, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
When I am squaring up a block comprised of different elements, I place my ruler on the center seam and measure out from there. Do this on all 4 sides. When making HST's, I center the ruler on the seam line again and measure to the outside edge on all 4 sides. In both cases, this helps with making sure your block is centered as well as not clipping off important points. I believe in squaring up each element or block as you go along. Generally speaking, you then don't have to square up your entire quilt after it's completed because everything you have put together is already square.

I, too, now believe in squaring up each element as you go. When I first started quiltmaking I did not know about squaring up (self taught, as in just about all I do) and realize now that I got amazingly lucky that my first quilt ended up square....and that I also quite by accident used good fabric. It was a simple 9 patch but even they can get out of square.

I watched you tube videos on squaring up and do much the same as NJ Quilter (above). I pay attention to the center of blocks so as not to cut too much off any one side and end up with blocks off center.
Old 03-14-2015, 08:49 AM
Power Poster

If the square has points on the outside edge and there is not a 1/4" inch from the point to the edge of the block then you can't square it up and not cut off the points. The block construction is off somewhere. Either in the cutting, the seams, or the pressing.
Old 03-14-2015, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by betharoo View Post
This is very helpful to me too. I am going to check out the links. I just finished 20 blocks that were supposed to be 12 1/2 " finished. Mine are all 12 1/4" finished. I have checked all of my seams and they are all exactly 1/4". I have no idea where I went wrong. Would you ladies advise me to leave them all at 12 1/4" or trim them to 12"? I don't know what to do.
Since all your blocks are the same size, just go with it. Don't trim them down as you will lose the points if you do that. Your quilt will just be a bit smaller than the directions indicate, but that shouldn't matter too much. This is probably a good example of how a teensy bit too much in each seam (even a thread or two) can add up to a measureable amount over the width of a block or a quilt. Try sewing just shy of your 1/4 inch next time and see if it makes a difference.

You can test your 1/4 inch by cutting three pieces of fabric 1-1/2" by 3" and sewing them together along the 3" sides. The finished piece should measure 3-1/2" wide. If it isn't exact, try again, adjusting the width of your seam.
Old 03-14-2015, 09:21 AM
Power Poster

I have a 12 1/2" square ruler that I always use to make sure my quilt blocks are the same size. Even if I just slice off a little bit, it makes it easier when I put the top together and have it be square. A little extra work in the beginning makes for less work later on; which is why I generally make over sized HST's, then trim to size, makes my life easier.
Old 03-14-2015, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Ditzyprints View Post
I suggest watching Quilty (online episodes by Marianne Fons's daughter Mary Fons). Just watched a two part series on Squaring Up. They didn't recommend squaring each block per se but showed how to measure and square up a quilt for adding borders etc. I think the web address is www.heyquilty.com and then you can select episodes. The two episodes are numbers 220 and 221 they are like 6-8 minutes each. Hope you find what you need.
I have to say I don't much care for Mary Fons style of presentation...She try's to hard to be chatty and over does it which makes her hard to watch..
Old 03-14-2015, 01:49 PM

In most (but not all) blocks the directions say to sew a (scant) 1/4 inch seam. If you are sewing a full 1/4 inch seam, then your block will not measure 12 1/2 but 12 1/4 instead. Also, it is helpful to square up every aspect of putting the block together. This will make a difference in how your block turns out.
Old 03-14-2015, 02:05 PM

Where have you guys been my whole life??? Thank you all!!!